Author Topic: 65 San Jose vert markings  (Read 1953 times)

Offline KanterPerformance

65 San Jose vert markings
« on: November 26, 2012, 05:15:27 PM »
Hi all. Finally made my way over here to ask some questions. I've been restoring Mustangs for about the past 20 years and selling some custom parts since 2003 so I'm sure some of you I know or have run into before on vintage-mustang or stangfix.

Anyways, I have a 65 vert I picked up out of Texas that is pretty much unmolested. Only thing done looks to be that the seats were re-upholstered and door panels painted.
I'll post the tag info when I get home but it's a San Jose build, Feb 65, delivered to Dallas, TX. Silver Blue, std blue interior, power top, power brakes, power steering, a/c. 289 2bbl/C4.
It's very solid, no rust just alot of the top paint baked off and the engine is locked up.
I was starting to pull the motor and with the hood off and better lighting I could read alot of the factory markings.

The radiator support had a lot of the option codes on the passenger side of it as well as a number 10 on drivers side. I'm assuming the 10 might be a line workers number?

The passenger side fender apron has an AOK stamp. I'm assuming this is the final inspection stamp?

On the firewall on the passenger side toward the top of the cowl is a PAINT9 stamped upside down. Any ideas?

There are some other markings on the firewall I haven't made out yet or written down.
Any other spots I should look for codes/markings?
I'm not looking to do a concours restoration but I do find it interesting as this is the first car I've come across over the 15 or so I've done that hasn't been really touched by any PO.
Being that untouched Mustangs are harder to come by as well I'd like to pass on and document what I find before it's restored.
If anyone is in the area I'd be more than happy to have you take a look as well.

Erick

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 San Jose vert markings
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 07:41:35 PM »
I studied the Dec '64 through March '65 San Jose time period in-depth during the restoration of an early February '65 K code convertible to MCA thoroughbred standards.  It really is interesting to narrow in on a certain time period at a particular assembly plant.  Most of the markings you referred to are typical of that time in production.  If you have any pictures to share, I'm sure it would be a nice reference.  Here's a link to the blog I did when restoring the K code: http://65kresto.blogspot.com/
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 08:03:56 PM »
Anyways, I have a 65 vert I picked up out of Texas that is pretty much unmolested. Only thing done looks to be that the seats were re-upholstered and door panels painted. I'll post the tag info when I get home but it's a San Jose build, Feb 65, delivered to Dallas, TX. Silver Blue, std blue interior, power top, power brakes, power steering, a/c. 289 2bbl/C4...................
I was starting to pull the motor and with the hood off and better lighting I could read alot of the factory markings.

The radiator support had a lot of the option codes on the passenger side of it as well as a number 10 on drivers side. I'm assuming the 10 might be a line workers number?

Not typical of San Jose practices (option code). Maybe one in ten were marked this way - more likely a specific line worker that was not the regular guy in that position.

Number is likely all or part of the first or second rotation number depending on what it looks like (how it was applied)

The passenger side fender apron has an AOK stamp. I'm assuming this is the final inspection stamp?

Nope - related to an AC check. Guess you found it in green ink/paint

On the firewall on the passenger side toward the top of the cowl is a PAINT9 stamped upside down. Any ideas?

Inspector #9 that inspected the unibody. Look for the other guy on fenders, hood and headlight buckets

There are some other markings on the firewall I haven't made out yet or written down.
Any other spots I should look for codes/markings?

Front wheelwells (engine panel side) under rear bumper, on seats, door panels, floor pans/seat risers, front cross member, any suspension piece, engine block and heads, transmission, rear end housing and third member to name a few ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:08:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline KanterPerformance

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »
Thanks Jeff for the info.
I'll be taking pics of what I can to document everything and post them as I go along.

Erick