Author Topic: Repro. Vent Window Frames vs. Rechroming Originals?  (Read 4786 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Repro. Vent Window Frames vs. Rechroming Originals?
« on: November 20, 2012, 11:22:08 PM »
I recently got my '66 fastback out of storage.  I restored the car in 2009, and now I'm repairing a few things and correcting a few details.  Due to time constraints back when I first restored and reassembled the car, I decided not to have the original window frames rechromed.  At the time, I thought the reproductions were fairly hit or miss, so I decided to stay with the originals in hopes of having them rechromed some day.

Now, I need to decide whether to have the original vent window frames rechromed, or whether to replace them with reproductions.  I'd like to have the originals redone, but I know chrome work can get expensive.  On the other hand, I hate to use an inferior reproduction that won't fit and function like an original; even more so, I hate the thought that the repro chrome might pit within a few years.

Any opinions or ideas on which way to go?  Has anyone tried the reproduction frames yet?  Thanks for any help/advice offered.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline MWM

Re: Repro. Vent Window Frames vs. Rechroming Originals?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 03:29:44 AM »
I recently went through this on my fb. I decided to post in the parts wanted section and purchased an original set from a member on this forum. I couldn't be happier! The seller even polished the frames for me with a buffer. Talk about service! All the widgets were in great shape and all I had to do was swap glass and install on the door.
Good Luck!

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 09:19:55 AM »
When I did our car I intended to rechrome. But found a near perfect set before I got the original replated. My experience is that reproduction chrome parts are never plated as well as a part that a quality custom shop will do. Additionally the price of the reproduction is near the cost of replating the originals.
Good Luck Marty
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 08:30:55 PM by ruppstang »

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 04:16:08 PM »
     Finding a nice set of originals is the way to go if possible.  If you decide to re chrome something you need to be aware of.  The forward lower recessed edge detail nearest the vent glass weatherstrip rubber presents a challenge for the prep work.  This recessed detail is often lost and becomes just a hollowed out area and pretty obvious when pointed out. 
     I had mine re chromed in 2000 for about $160.00.  I had done business with the shop before and had a good working relationship with them.  They have since been forced out of business and out of town as with all the local chrome shops here in San Diego, Ca.   Finding a quality hands on shop might prove difficult.
     I am posting a picture to point out the specific detail area.  The detail still looks pretty good and the chrome looks much better than it appears.   Curious if judges take note of such things ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 06:39:03 PM »
I went to my friendly local Mustang wrecker and found a pair of date coded to my 66 San Jose GT "K" car, frames and had them replated. They were both in good condition to start which makes the chroming easy and keeps the repair costs down. The costs were not reasonable but I wanted original Ford items. The glass frames were done as well and I need to re-assemble everything including the outside door handles for a one time installation. When the frames come out of the "K" car, they will be replated and wind up in my 66 Hardtop, which was built two days before the "K". The only items that are store bought are the wing window handles.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 12:54:42 AM »
..... I am posting a picture to point out the specific detail area.  The detail still looks pretty good and the chrome looks much better than it appears.   Curious if judges take note of such things ?  Brian

Will report I know plenty of judges that judge with me will and do check for the edges/details of the vent frame all the time.

Since getting items chrome in good old Calif can be a challenge you might consider shipping them to a more friendly part of the country. Thing the other members have offered some places that had produced some good work for them in other threads. I'm about there with some of my pieces though I will miss being able to point to specific places on parts and explain to them that if this happens I'm not going to be happy :)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 01:45:17 PM »
Has anyone attempted to put the detail back in?   I've got one frame that's been stripped and apparently buffed to get ready for plating.   As you can see, the detail is lost.    A very steady hand with a dremel may do the trick but I suspect as long as there's ample supply, this 'art' won't be attempted (yet).

Greg Z

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 07:48:03 PM »
I wouldn't even attempt to repair that one.  Would be best to find a good used original and have it re-plated.  Qual-krom does a great job at keeping this detail intact.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 08:32:34 PM »
I wouldn't even attempt to repair that one.  Would be best to find a good used original and have it re-plated.  Qual-krom does a great job at keeping this detail intact.

+1 on Qual-krom. I've used them several times in the past, and they've always done top notch work at reasonable prices.
Too much junk, too little time.