Author Topic: ground wire through firewall?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline 70Mach

ground wire through firewall?
« on: November 14, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Does anyone know what this was for or where it connects?  I'm assuming it's a ground wire that goes through the firewall but I don't know for sure, maybe it's a power wire?  Right above where the main harness comes through the firewall there are two additional larger holes that are right below the seam.  Since this car is a 351C fmx, one of them is for the DMS vacuum hoses and the other one fits the grommet on this wire. 
'70 Mach 1, Metuchen, 351C, 4 bbl, auto, a/c, PDB, PS, shaker, white stripe, Dark Ivy Green w/black int.  '67 Mustang, San Jose, convertible 390, 4 speed, console, rear grill, Nightmist blue, standard blue interior

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

Re: ground wire through firewall?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 01:26:27 PM »
Been awhile since I worked on the car that had them, but I know 70s with the auto seat back release use a large gauge wire like that that runs to a convertible top style circuit breaker out by the solenoid.

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 02:28:45 PM »
Thanks!  I'll check that out.  There is a circuit breaker among the pile of parts we got with the car.  Would the auto seat back release be part of the convenience group?  Or was it a separate option?  The Convenience Group is on the Marti report, but nothing about auto seat back release.
'70 Mach 1, Metuchen, 351C, 4 bbl, auto, a/c, PDB, PS, shaker, white stripe, Dark Ivy Green w/black int.  '67 Mustang, San Jose, convertible 390, 4 speed, console, rear grill, Nightmist blue, standard blue interior

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »
Not sure I am waiting for the Marti report on the car we are working on that has them. The car is on hold right now cause the owner is having health issues.

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 03:09:16 PM »
It's part of the Convenience Group from other posts that I found.  Now I hope I have the rest of it. 

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 05:20:42 PM »
Well there should be wires under the carpet that comes out under the center of the seat on both sides and if the seats are still in the car you may be able to see the wires run up one of the hinges on the seats.

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 06:09:12 PM »
We bought it in pieces and in boxes so I'll be digging through those to find the rest.  I know the part of the harness that has the Park light and RH door switch is still attached to the main harness, but I don't know what the harness looks like that runs to the seats.  What color of wires are in it?  Does anyone have a picture of what the harness looks like that goes to the seats? or is it part of the harness with the Park light and RH door switch?

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »
Does anyone know what the bottom hole to the left is for?  Or do you think someone added a switch or something and put it there?

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 02:06:56 PM »
Well the wires on the plugs that plug into the releases are one black and one orange, I can't get a picture right now cause the stuff is all in boxes in our loft, not even sure which one to start looking in either. The harness also has a relay I think as well somewhere.

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 02:26:40 PM »
Great!

I have a harness that has black and orange wires and appears to be in pretty decent shape.  I just ordered the Osborn electrical manual so hopefully that will have a good explanation of how everything is routed.

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 03:02:05 PM »
That is good I'm sure that is one of those harnesses that isn't worth a reproduction in the manufacturers eyes.

Kind of a rarer thing to see on 70s I think! The car we are working on that has them is a Boss 302. And I had a few years ago a Boss 351 with them too.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:27:19 PM by 69SCJQ4.30 »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 09:50:44 PM »
Does anyone know what the bottom hole to the left is for?  Or do you think someone added a switch or something and put it there?

Since the holes are not both the same size it appears IMHO that one was added by a PO Though some cars got two warning lamps in that location believe both used the same size mounting holes
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »
I was thinking the same thing, but was hoping that wasn't the case.  This pic came from the Boss 302 site where there is info on the auto seat back release.