Author Topic: 1967 Upper Control Arm Markings  (Read 4733 times)

Offline Paperback Writer

1967 Upper Control Arm Markings
« on: October 02, 2012, 12:46:57 PM »
After a good soaking in Evaporust, I found pink markings at the ball joint ends on both of my upper control arms.  I thought these markings were usually green - is there any significance to the pink markings?

1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline specialed

Re: 1967 Upper Control Arm Markings
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 01:11:10 PM »
I have seen pink on 70 uppers.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 01:56:21 AM »
Seen most service replacements with the pink at the ball joint end. BTW - haven't seen green there on originals

No dates on the end??  That and the pink mark might suggest that they were replaced at some point IMHO

One example from my collection

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:53:29 AM »
Jeff is that a c7oz-a or a c4dz as it looks like shorter rear shaft spacing from this angle?

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 11:13:31 AM »
Seen most service replacements with the pink at the ball joint end. BTW - haven't seen green there on originals

+1
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Paperback Writer

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 04:24:21 PM »
Thanks for the info guys!

So the ones I've seen with the green markings (like the one below) must have been incorrectly restored:

(And incorrectly dipped in black paint as well...)

Mine may have been service replacements, but the air chisel gouges make me think they just replaced the ball joints at some point in the past and not the whole arm...

Just out of curiosity, what color markings would be on the ball joint area of the factory (San Jose/Sept '66) installed arms (if any)?
Also, would there be any markings on the control arm shafts/bushings?
1967 390 GTA Convertible
7R03S110###
76B - V - 6U - 30J - 72 - 1 - U
(Actually built on 9/22/1966 - Eight days ahead of schedule)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 08:28:27 PM »
Typical markings would be a paint splotch on the top of the ball joint assy, which you'd have to look through the hole to see.  The threads on the ball joint stud typically had yellow on them.  Otherwise, maybe an inspector or check mark might have been found to indicate completion of install or torque.

Not sure where the green marking came from, only color I've ever seen on upper control arms is the pink splotch or spray.  There's no left or right.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 10:38:56 PM »
Jeff is that a c7oz-a or a c4dz as it looks like shorter rear shaft spacing from this angle?

Correct Ed - do have the later ones with the same mark (IMHO likely the same guys putting together the service replacements for both during that time period)
Good catch

So the ones I've seen with the green markings (like the one below) must have been incorrectly restored:

Mine may have been service replacements, but the air chisel gouges make me think they just replaced the ball joints at some point in the past and not the whole arm...

Have seen the green, red and others but no idea of where those came from other than copying someone else or one of those "who will know" thing we see at shows sometimes

Remember the ball joints often wore out quickly since few greased them. Not unusal for them to be changed out in the mid to late 70's even as one of those "it just needs it" or part of a "rebuild the front end" sort of thing. So having these changed three or four times IMHO is not unusual after all these years

Just out of curiosity, what color markings would be on the ball joint area of the factory (San Jose/Sept '66) installed arms (if any)?
Also, would there be any markings on the control arm shafts/bushings?

For your year and plant agree with Charles with the ball joint ID (that is difficult to see once on a completed car) and the visual highlighter (IMHO)  on the ball joint stud end and threads.
Jeff Speegle

Offline specialed

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
I had a nos 70 lower arm that you could clearly see the color code on the end (blueish purple) & the paint ran under the ball joint so the paint code was on the end before ball-joint was riveted on. Also anybody seen a color code or marking on upper (681/2 -69 cut-back) verses regular 67-68 control arms as you would think ford would have them marked on assembly line to avoid confusion of getting them on correct cars.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:42:03 PM by specialed »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »
I had a nos 70 lower arm that you could clearly see the color code on the end (blueish purple) & the paint ran under the ball joint so the paint code was on the end before ball-joint was riveted on. Also anybody seen a color code or marking on upper (681/2 -69 cut-back) verses regular 67-68 control arms as you would think ford would have them marked on assembly line to avoid confusion of getting them on correct cars.

Nothing in digital pictures (checked) now to the old fashion hand written notes (binders ;)
Jeff Speegle