Author Topic: Factory Bent Vacuum Lines  (Read 2980 times)

Offline ClevelandKid

Factory Bent Vacuum Lines
« on: September 14, 2012, 11:39:15 AM »
Anyone here know of a vendor that has the correct factory bent vacuum lines. My 70 Mach 1 has them on the distributor. I see allot of restored Mustangs with straight vacuum lines but don't believe its correct. Many vendors offer color coded vacuum lines but only straight versions. I need a set for my 70 Boss. Thankx.

Mustang country. Get the women,kids and Chevys off the streets.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Factory Bent Vacuum Lines
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:45:49 PM »
Don't know of any vendor that is selling the shaped vacuum hoses with the MX markings - or with any markings for that matter.

Think good used will be your best bet at this point
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 11:15:47 AM »
Thankx. Your probably right. Used would be the way to go but I rarely see them available. Have attended many swap meets and can't remember seeing any. Its strange these haven't been repopped. :-\

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 02:57:26 AM »
Thankx. Your probably right. Used would be the way to go but I rarely see them available. Have attended many swap meets and can't remember seeing any. Its strange these haven't been repopped. :-\

Not something that sellers would throw in the truck or trailer to bring to a swap meets - guessing not many people walking around asking for them . Same thing goes for the reproduction - unless there is a demand (allot of requests) no one is going to spend the dollars it would take to make about 2,000 and try and recoup their investment.
Jeff Speegle

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 12:43:22 PM »
True but they have gone to the trouble of making straight red and green striped vacuum hoses. How much more trouble would it be to put a 90 degree bend on one end? Not much I think. Just saying. By the way the pic I posted still has some of  the yellow stripe still visible on the rear vacuum port. I think the repops only offer red and green.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 11:02:58 PM »
True but they have gone to the trouble of making straight red and green striped vacuum hoses. How much more trouble would it be to put a 90 degree bend on one end? Not much I think. Just saying. By the way the pic I posted still has some of  the yellow stripe still visible on the rear vacuum port. I think the repops only offer red and green.

From what I understand from the rubber guys - allot since the one style is just extruded where the other might require a two or three piece mold. Allot more dollars.  Of course the ones you found might be the results of simple age, heat and being in one spot for many years.  Don't know if I've ever seen NOS ones that were curved/formed or a notation in the parts books that refer to the preformed hoses for these applications like we see in some others - example would be trans vacuum hoses or heater hoses

Just a thought

As for the hose stripes - at least they make MX hoses - some of the non- MX ones - very few are made
Jeff Speegle

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 10:37:19 AM »
My 70 Mach 1 has the MX hose that is connected to the air cleaner/shaker pan that goes to the snorkel. Its original and still looks new. The curved hoses are the original at the end that connects to the vacuum diaphragm. They were that way when I purchased the car in 1973. They did not occur that way from heat. My Boss air cleaner vacuum door hose is also curved at the end. A junk yard just 1/2 mile from my hose used to have lots of 60-70 cars there{all gone now} and I remember seeing curved vacuum hoses on many of the Ford cars. But never gave much mind to getting any. Who knew??? Just always wondered why many repop parts are not dead nuts on. Some are but many are not.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 12:10:10 AM »
Might depend on the supplier - just a thought. So you might compare the number of ribs on the ones you have to others.

Just some pictures going through my collection

Jeff Speegle