Author Topic: 67 NJ manual drum master cylinder cap  (Read 1326 times)

Offline sparky65

67 NJ manual drum master cylinder cap
« on: September 24, 2012, 07:58:12 PM »
Ive seen two different kinds but have no idea if either is original.  One appears to be taller with a bent wire that holds it on and the other is shorter with  a straight wire.

Here are two pictures to illustrate the differences Ive seen:

I also just found out they should be painted black.  Now would these have been dipped , ( i.e. have a heavy complete coverage coating including runs) or a spray finish with shadows?
Steve
1967 Pebble Beige  I6 Coupe built in Metuchen on Oct 26, 1966.
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 NJ manual drum master cylinder cap
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 09:44:02 PM »
Without measure the caps to see what difference there is I would say the ones I've seen produced a fairly "flat" retaining bale

As for the master cylinder - they were painted with a fairly heavy coat of black paint (sprayed) and at the brake line attachment points there would have light shadows (small soft edged bare spots) where a plastic plug would have been inserted before paint was applied. Plugs are much like what you can find in rebuilt units to keep the dust and dirt out
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sparky65

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:44:40 PM »
I could measure both if that helps.  I am not sure your following what I mean by straight or bent.  The two styles ive seen is with a taller cap the bale has a 90* bend in it on the legs that run down the side of the master cylinder.  On the shorter cap the bale runs straight up the side of the master cylinder and then directly over the top of the cap.  The two caps are shaped differently as well but that too hard to describe.  I'll get better pictures tomorrow.  Ive found that the taller one seems to make a tighter seal.
Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline sparky65

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:09:34 PM »
Close up of the bent bale and taller cap.

shorter cap with straight bale.

Side by side

Steve
2009 Black GT Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »
Interesting that your showing one with a vent (raise section of metal in the top of the cap) since we are use to seeing those on later cars. Guys will sometimes hammer them down to get them to pass inspection :(

Both might be replacements - need to go back through all the non PB pictures

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)