Author Topic: Brake linings  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Toploader

Brake linings
« on: March 24, 2012, 08:05:17 PM »
Hello everybody,

I am a Danish hobbyist and I have a '65 convertible that I partly use for daily driving in the summertime. I have just joined this site and I like what I see. I appreciate the level of the discussions. I am planning a future restoration at some point, but right now I am about to do a brake job. One of my considerations is to have the brake shoes relined, however I fall short of retrieving information about the friction coefficients of the linings used by the factory. Does anyone know? The shop manual only state some color codes that I have not been able to decode into friction numbers.

Jeppe
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Brake linings
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 10:01:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  Your question is interesting, but I have not seen documentation that specifies friction coefficient for brake shoes.  Are you looking for a stock replacement or something better?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Toploader

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 06:02:17 PM »
Replicating factory quality is always my first choice. I wonder if Ford could have used linings with different friction coefficients on the front wheels and the rear wheels respectively, though it only appears to be different types from the primary shoes to the secondary shoes according to the shop manual. From the forum on the Danish Mustang Club's web site I have learned that some members have experienced issues with the rear wheels over-braking after having the shoes or linings replaced.
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6

Offline Toploader

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 06:53:50 PM »
but I have not seen documentation that specifies friction coefficient for brake shoes

Charles, I went by your 65 k resto blog today and had yet another look at those immaculate brakes. This time around I believe I found the answer to my question above. You state the rear shoes to be 100 % correct (Fomoco). The color codes on the rear linings are matching with the Shop Manual (silver for primary, yellow & white for secondary). What caught my eye this time was the coding on the linings in one of the pictures. As far as I can tell, the primary shoe lining is coded FF which translates to 0.35 µ - 0.45 µ both hot and cold, and the secondary is coded FE which is 0.35 µ - 0.45 µ cold and 0.25 µ - 0.35 µ hot. There is also a noticeable difference in the color of the material of the primary and secondary linings, respectively.

So, thank you for your blog. It's a treat.

http://65kresto.blogspot.dk/2010_08_01_archive.html
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 07:05:08 PM by Toploader »
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 07:43:02 PM »

Dude, Buddy, No need for rocket science here... Raybestos and Wagner both sell riveted brake shoes like the originals using re-lined re-riveted cores.  You even have the choice of semi-metallic or pure organic linings.  It does not get much better than that.  The "bonded" type is also available from Raybestos if you do not want to go the original "riveted" route.

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »

PS: I recommend the Raybestos Riveted "RR" Organic linings. They stop great and wear well, and I have been using them about 20 years with no issues on a 4 wheel  "All Drum" type brake system.   You can get them via the web from www.rockauto.com at a good price. The semi-metallic brake lining brake a little harder, and are prone to squeaking, though still work well.

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Toploader

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 08:19:53 AM »
PS: I recommend the Raybestos Riveted "RR" Organic linings. They stop great and wear well, and I have been using them about 20 years with no issues on a 4 wheel  "All Drum" type brake system.

Thanks for the input. I might want to try that if the local relining doesn't work out properly.

No rocket science intended... Just a curiosity about the factory design and engineers' efforts to achieve balanced braking.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:45:18 AM by Toploader »
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6