Author Topic: J Code 9 inch rear axel  (Read 1781 times)

Offline ruppstang

J Code 9 inch rear axel
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:54:47 AM »
I have been told that all 68 J codes had 9 inch rear axles. I was looking in the Marti  Auto works Mustang and Cougar Tag book and it lists
code 5 WES-N   The Ford specifications list as 8 3/4 conventional 3.00.1
code E WES-V   No listing in ford Specifications but Marti says GT only
code 8 WES-U  No listing in Ford Specifactions but Marti says Shelby GT 350
code 1 DSO-C8ZX-A  No listing in Ford Specifactions Marti says Shelby GT 350
Is the 8 3/4 considered a 9 inch rear Axel ?
Thanks Marty

Offline Murf

Re: J Code 9 inch rear axel
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 10:59:53 AM »
Marty, I dug into this subject a few years ago and after a large amount of help from guys on this and other internet forums and conversations with anyone who would talk to me about this odd happening, it seems that not all "J" code 68 Mustangs have a nine inch.  Only those that were "GT" cars were routinely equipped with the 9 inch, and the ratio was typically 3:25 - 1.  The single exhaust "J" code cars had an eight inch, normally with a 3:00 - 1 ratio.  As an aside, the housing, differential assembly (pumpkin to many) the driveshaft and brake plumbing are the only different parts.  The axles, brake backing plates and brake shoes and cylinders and hardware and drums interchange between the 8 and 9 inch assembly.  It seems that the most convenient way to determine the axle size on a complete and driving car is to determine the axle ratio stamped on the door data plate. 3;25 gears normally are found with a 9 inch.  And yes, there are exceptions to this but MOST of the time just a quick check of the ratio will give you a strong indication of the differential.  Hope this helps you a little in your quest.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: J Code 9 inch rear axel
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:54:47 PM »
To add to johns excellent description the Wes U (3.50) and C7ZX A (3.89) were also 9 inch not 8.75 offered in the GT 350 J code models. The Wes U was also used for GT 500
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America