Author Topic: Vacuum Advance Finish  (Read 1910 times)

Offline john_simms

Vacuum Advance Finish
« on: March 23, 2012, 11:05:07 PM »
For a mid April 1964, Dearborn D-Code V8, manual transmission coupe; what is the best approach to refinishing the coating on the distributor vacuum advance?  I seem to recall that it has a zinc coating of some type.  Is there a spray coating that will give a similar appearance?  The vacuum port side has been wire brushed before so there is none of the original coating left.  The actuator side still looks almost new.

Do the spring cap hold-downs get the same coating?

I searched the forums, but didn't run across any discussions about this.

My distributor part number is C4ZF-12127-C with a 4CE manufacture date.

Thanks.

John Simms
Edwardsville, IL

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Vacuum Advance Finish
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 12:37:36 AM »
Yes, vacuum advance and front fitting were zinc plated, copper washer.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Online jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 12:49:13 AM »
For a mid April 1964, Dearborn D-Code V8, manual transmission coupe; what is the best approach to refinishing the coating on the distributor vacuum advance?  I seem to recall that it has a zinc coating of some type.  Is there a spray coating that will give a similar appearance?  The vacuum port side has been wire brushed before so there is none of the original coating left.  The actuator side still looks almost new.
The diaphram is different than what is available from any catalog I've seen and I don't know what the differences are, but you need a B9AF-12370-C (Motorcraft DD-9). In the interim, wirebrush (or mask well and beadblast) then spray with Eastwood Diamond Clear semiglosss.
The springs are probably best treated with phosphate and oil. Be careful about the retainer pins.
Thanks.
John Simms
Edwardsville, IL
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »

Thanks.

John Simms
Edwardsville, IL

John,
Another picture from my Pace Car build.  I actually found an NOS vacuum advance, and the finish on it is a clear irridescent cad, not the zinc.  Picture shows Three units - a Motorcraft replacement for 65, plated zinc, a reproduction for the early distributors (screws into the body rather than all the way through) also bright zinc and the NOS one I found installed on the distributor, again looks like clear cad to me.

This finish is very similair to the finish on some of the 66-67 smog cannisters and stuff.  - Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 08:37:15 PM »
This finish is very similair to the finish on some of the 66-67 smog cannisters and stuff.  - Dave

Not to get off thread nut just for a moment ;) Which Thermactor parts are you referring to. I seem to be finding NOS and an original plated Thermactor pieces Dichromate or for cast pieces a similar gold (slight to heavy green) on cast parts.

Sorry - back to the vacuum advance discussion :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)