Author Topic: Rear axle brake hose  (Read 1691 times)

Offline bbs428

• Retired navy brat
Rear axle brake hose
« on: March 12, 2012, 04:25:45 PM »
Hey guys,

Was the original brake hose assembly where it attaches to the axle, zinc plated with a bright metallic finish or cadmium plated?

Secondly was the distribution block for the axle brake lines brass?

I received a reproduction that is double crimped and looks all shiny zinc plated.   :(

Due to new laws I hear that all new brake fittings will be double crimped so really can't do anything about that but I can apply some different finishes that duplicate the original.

Thanks,

Brett
Mach 1 428 cj "R" code 4spd. Royal Maroon. Built in San Jose 18 Feb, 1969.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Rear axle brake hose
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
Hey guys,

Was the original brake hose assembly where it attaches to the axle, zinc plated with a bright metallic finish or cadmium plated?

Secondly was the distribution block for the axle brake lines brass?

I received a reproduction that is double crimped and looks all shiny zinc plated.   :(

Due to new laws I hear that all new brake fittings will be double crimped so really can't do anything about that but I can apply some different finishes that duplicate the original.

Thanks,

Brett
Brett, the block was brass but the hose bracket was the zinc dicromaat (gold) at the axle tube.The distribution block was brass but the bracket was again the gold. I hope this helps. Yes the laws changed on the crimping. The double crimp is how you tell if later service part or repro . Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bbs428

• Retired navy brat
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:30:10 AM »
Great!  I can make it look a bit more authentic than it is now with your info,  Bob . 

I drive the car about 2-3k miles a year so having good safe brake hoses on the car is important. 
Someday I'll find a good original and when I do, I'll save it for the day big red becomes a trailer queen... Which will be the day I can't push the hd clutch in anymore!  ;D

Thanks much!!
Mach 1 428 cj "R" code 4spd. Royal Maroon. Built in San Jose 18 Feb, 1969.

Offline specialed

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:23:48 AM »
Repo brake hoses dont have ford eng #s but their is a guy making them correct as he just finished some bushings & gas neck hose.