Author Topic: Exhaust clamps  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Herman

Exhaust clamps
« on: August 26, 2010, 03:01:40 AM »
I was wondering anyone has any pictures of all the Exhaust clamps for 66 GT as I would like to compare mine which I believe are the originals

Herman
Washing, polishing and cleaning stuff some more in an attempt to retain that 'Golden nugget'

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Exhaust clamps
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 10:07:16 PM »
I helped Scott Halseth of NPD correct the 66GT exhaust clamps.  Kinda crummy pictures, but here were his new replacements after the ones listed were found to be incorrect:

Old Version:

New Version:
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Herman

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:10:45 AM »
Thanks MidLife  :D, However the hangers pictured are these same
Washing, polishing and cleaning stuff some more in an attempt to retain that 'Golden nugget'

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 02:53:24 PM »
HERMAN.

from memories of looking under your car over the years yours where replacements. i have several assembly line sets at home that you can view plus NOS pieces that i have collected over years.  presently in North Carolina for the Asheville show but once im back drop me a line.
And thanks must go to midlife for changing the design on the exhaust clamps in the picture.

regards.

PHILL  BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 10:13:01 PM »
Thanks MidLife  :D , However the hangers pictured are these same

Not quite.  The top one is too large; when you tighten it down, it is still loose around the pipe.  The bottom one is the correct size.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

priceless

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 12:12:43 PM »
How many total exhaust clamps were used on a 66 factory GT ?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 12:57:57 PM »
How many total exhaust clamps were used on a 66 factory GT ?
Four, in pairs - H-pipe and exhaust tip. There are two sets of clamps used as hangers only, one at the rear of the muffler and the other by the exhaust tips. Service and aftermarket have four additional at the muffler.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

priceless

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 01:41:49 PM »
So, you are saying eight total, I thought there were only six total? Maybe I'm thinking six total on the 65 GT.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 02:35:49 PM »
The original exhaust from my early '66 GT has six clamps.  Two for the H-pipes and two on each side at the resonators; a clamp to hold the tips to the tailpipe and a band to support the tailpipe.  The mufflers are welded both ends so no clamps.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »
A 65-66 factory GT and HP dual exhaust system was a two part welded assembly from the H-pipe back to the tips held in place by four clamps. It is entirely possible that a running change was introduced to compensate for additional suppliers or ease of manufacture. I've seen both four clamp and six clamp types and I'll let Charles or Jeff give a better answer.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 08:33:02 PM »
I think the number of clamps depends on which GT or dual exhaust system your looking at - If I recall correctly there is at least three different systems and this might be leading to the different responses.

Other issues that comes into play is if your describing clamps used to assemble the system or hanging/attaching the system ;)

And lastly the clamps different depending on application, purpose and location of clamp
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)