Author Topic: Block, Air cleaner/horn paint and detail  (Read 1094 times)

Offline bbs428

• Retired navy brat
Block, Air cleaner/horn paint and detail
« on: January 08, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »
I'm getting ready to paint my rebuilt 428 cj engine. The car is a San Jose build - feb, 69.

Some questions have surfaced as to depth of the ford corporate blue color. I have not bought anything yet so any suggestions would be appreciated so I can purchase the correct paint the 1st time...  I would like it to be a 2 part epoxy or something as tough. 
I have test run the engine, broke in the cam and delt with some tuning issues on the test stand.  I figured I'll paint the engine as an assembly and address any detailing issues BEFORE it goes in.   ;)

The other question is about the air cleaner assembly/airhorn/heat sheild, as in - was it painted at the same time and should it match the engine perfectly or should it be off a bit in shade.

Regards, Brett
Mach 1 428 cj "R" code 4spd. Royal Maroon. Built in San Jose 18 Feb, 1969.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Block, Air cleaner/horn paint and detail
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 08:08:30 PM »
Most (if using a paint gun) use the PPG formula (if its still available in your region) and add a hardener to the mix. If you would like it slightly darker then have the paint supplier darken it just a bit when they add the flattener

As for the items attached to the engine, they were shot at another location.supplier so they likely varied a little bit so you could have the mix mentioned above shot without any change if you choose to
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bbs428

• Retired navy brat
Re: Block, Air cleaner/horn paint and detail
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 11:29:20 PM »
Would make sense that air cleaner and such were painted elsewhere.

I'll get my hands on some ppg and go from there.

Thanks much!
Mach 1 428 cj "R" code 4spd. Royal Maroon. Built in San Jose 18 Feb, 1969.