Author Topic: toploader  (Read 801 times)

Offline blondyred

toploader
« on: February 12, 2021, 02:02:40 AM »
 What color of finish or paint for a 1964 toploader transmission and bell housing?

Pictures would be nice.

Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: toploader
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 04:50:32 PM »
First would like to welcome you to the site - hope you find the information and support helpful in your restoration centered efforts and projects

Natural - without paint so a medium steel cast look and a bare aluminum bell housing. Understand (number of threads on the site) that blasting either when cleaning will change the look and not result in an original look to the finish. In fact most of the time if you do this to the aluminum bell housing it will never look factory. And fresh bell housing would have an uneven outer look with some smoother surface and other rougher surface areas.

The main case will have a stamped steel, sheet metal, cover that will both contrast from the cast surface of the transmission. It should be mentioned also that the ID tag would have a sheet metal tag retained by dark "rivets" or "nails"

« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 05:29:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 05:27:43 PM »
Some pictures.

Bellhousing  - Yes I used an automatic case to demonstrate the uneven finish (tone) across a main case for an example. The upper left shows how bright and even look blasting often recreates even though, in this example, the guy didn't finis. The lower right shows what appears to be one that has been blasted then painted with aluminum paint Chances are is that the restored example is painted or ceramic coated with a very thin coat

Cast transmission case and tail shaft housing

The upper left is an example of a nice original. Does appear to have a little surface rust in a few areas but does show a tonal value I believe you will find is in the range your looking for. Typically don't save or post pictures from restoration in these sort of threads but I think the one in the lower right shows the contrast between the top cover and the main transmission cast sections. The filler plug IMHO is brighter than I have seen on originals

Hoe this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 01:50:16 PM »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion