Author Topic: 65 Dearborn Fastback undercarriage color  (Read 1589 times)

Offline jtfx6552

65 Dearborn Fastback undercarriage color
« on: July 24, 2011, 10:05:26 PM »
I did some searching, didn't find much information on a Dearborn car with a similar build date.

My car is date code 29K unit number 3399XX. It has been in the family since new. I tried to detail the bottom when I was a kid, back around 1980. Being a kid, and not knowing anything about restoration, I didn't document what I found at the time. I remember the car being black underneath with very little white overspray (car is wimbledon white). being that long ago, who knows if my memory is even close...

Now I am redoing the car and would like to make it as correct as I can. Anyone have any similar build date cars from Dearborn, with information to share?

So far I've studied the VA Mustang blog on their "early K" convertible, but I think that was produced earlier.

1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 Dearborn Fastback undercarriage color
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Given that period or time I would guess that it could be either a semi-gloss black or a dark blueish batch color. Since we don't know when these cars were built its hard to be sure since we don't know which other cars were built at the same time

Don't forget allot of body color over spray into the rear wheel wells and the rear frame rails exposed in that area as well as along the floor pans. Over the floor pan overspray the black pinch weld black out - before the front fenders were installed - from the front wheelwells to the rear valance
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jtfx6552

Re: 65 Dearborn Fastback undercarriage color
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 05:51:07 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

I was hoping someone might have some photos to show the amount and location of overspray?

As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words...
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.