Author Topic: '65 Trunk mat  (Read 4235 times)

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: '65 Trunk mat
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 11:37:09 AM »
I certainly agree 100%!!  I think I'll have my upholstery man work with it soon, I don't feel comfortable with the heat and cutting...

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 07:12:15 PM »

Here is a NOS trunk mat for comparison.  Definitely a bit tighter on the fit. 

Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 09:59:15 AM »
I've got a GREAT upholstery man here that I've been using for years-I think I'll have him work with it some....

Thanks Skyway for the picture of the NOS mat!!

BTW, Did/does your car still have the brackets from when it was mounted on the skyway?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:01:16 AM by C5ZZKGT »

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »
Yes-front and rear. 

Also, notice the wires on the driver's side wheel well in the trunk.  Also leftover from the Fair.
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 08:50:12 AM »
Very Cool!!!  I understand there was anouther car supoesedly from the Skyway that was restored a couple of years ago, was an ultra-low number car reportedly that was for the most part "hand made" and very crudely at that as told by the restorer, still had the brackets, it was said the car was to have been destroyed after the fair but was sold to the general public and driven for many years on public roads when it shouldn't have been due to safety concerns.

Offline Vintage66

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »
On the subject of trunk mats, I have a Ford mat in my car that's starting to show it's age and I'm trying to decide what to do about it.  The mat is not the original one to the car.  That one suffered a lot of use and abuse over the years, including several loads of rocks being hauled in the trunk for a wall my dad built on his property.  Yeah, I know...I shudder to think about it now.  But when he bought the car (a '66 coupe) used in '67, it was just a car, or in some cases, a truck.  In the early 80's, when we started to fix the car up, a new mat was one of the first things we bought for it ($33.50 at Mr. Mustang in Dayton, OH).  This was in August of '82.  Nearly 29 years later, that same mat, while still in good condition overall, has a few tears.  Nothing too horrible, but they're there.  I repaired it on the back side by gluing rubber patches on it to keep the tears from getting bigger.  I'm at the point now where I'm debating about replacing it.

My questions are:

1) Does a used mat like mine with minor damage still have some value because it's a Ford mat?  In my opinion, it's too nice to scrap, but I don't know if anyone would want to give me anything for it. 

2) If the consensus is that I should keep it, is there a better way to repair the damaged spots?

3) If I wind up replacing it, who has the most authentic reproductions?

I can post a pic of it if anyone wants to see it.

Scott