Author Topic: Restore it...or not?  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Vintage66

Restore it...or not?
« on: July 12, 2011, 10:29:01 PM »
A friend of mine purchased an original '65 coupe with 27K from another friend of mine last October.  He has made some necessary mechanical repairs, cleaned it up some and has it in really nice shape.  There are a couple things about it that bother him that he's thinking about redoing.  The carpet ('64 1/2 style) is nice but has some fading on the hump.  He's talked about replacing it, but I think he should leave it as-is.  Likewise, he said he's tempted to detail the engine compartment.  I told him I would just clean it up as good as I could and leave it alone.  He's thinking about selling it eventually as well as some of his other cars as he and his wife have decided to downsize and will likely wind up in a house with less garage space.  If he resells it, would it be better to leave it as is or do some refurbishing?  As it stands now, the interior is completely original with the exception of the shifter boot and is in amazing condition.  The exterior has apparently had some paintwork done to it at some point, is mostly original as is all the sheetmetal, trim and glass.  The mechanical work done to it has been normal maintenance items (shocks, tires, brakes, etc.).  It seems like someone buying an original car would want it left alone.  On the other hand, new and pretty is what most people like.  I told him I was on this forum and ask people that are in the know about such things.  What do you think he should do?

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Restore it...or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 10:58:33 PM »
i would clean it thoroughly and sell "as is". they are only original once.
5F09C331248

Offline 5F09CNot4Sale

• If it does not fit, you need a bigger hammer!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 11:18:45 PM »
I personally would not touch it. However if he does I would tell him to keep every original item and let it go with the car.

5F09C3031XX Sept 28 64 Dearborn
5F07F1838XX June 29 64 Dearborn

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 11:21:33 PM »
I think you gave him the "right" advice !!   That carpet can be cleaned (and even dyed) if needed.   "Restoration" is going to cost money,, take too long and in this case -hurt an original car.

You are right that someone buying an original car WANTS the original parts!    I saw a 1968 Camaro at a show on Sunday. "Obviously"  just revived from a 20 year  storage in CA.  (smelled just right for musty)  UNFORTUNATELY the "seller" was  claiming NEW brakes, Alternator, Master, fuel pump and carb.   SEEING the Autozone master WITH BLEEDERS and the "chrome" Edelbrock pump and carb just made me think "Boy I wish I had gotten to this before this guy"!   

Mark
P.S.  68 SS car (12 bolt 4 speed with AC)   
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline Vintage66

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 11:52:58 PM »
The carpet and engine compartment were just things that stood out.  He definitely is not going to restore it.   One of the other cars he has is a '65 Comet Caliente with 19K original miles.  The car is amazing, but the engine compartment was definitely showing its age.  He refinished it (not sure I would have), but to his credit, he did an outstanding job.  It is completely stock and it turned out just beautiful.  I saw it at a local cruise-in this past Saturday.  The engine compartment is a really nice semi gloss finish which he told me was actually a flat black that was cleared.  It's crazy how nice it looks!  If he redid the Mustang's engine compartment, I'm sure it would look just as nice, but I'm going to persuade him to leave it alone and just see if he can get the carpet dyed.