Author Topic: '65 Stock Steel Wheel-Black  (Read 5688 times)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
'65 Stock Steel Wheel-Black
« on: November 06, 2010, 10:45:46 AM »
I'm getting ready to spray the stock steel wheels this week and I needed to find out if they should be semi-gloss or gloss black; MCA rules simply say "black." Thanks in advance. :)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
Re: '65 Stock Steel Wheel-Black
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 10:59:10 AM »
Gary,

The earlier production ones (not sure as it got into 1966) that we have seen have leaned more towards a gloss black rather than semi-gloss black.  I believe that we used about a 70% gloss.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 11:03:40 AM by Brant »

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 11:18:33 AM »
Thanks for that Brant.  It's hard to tell from the originals how glossy they actually were. These are from a Jan '65 Dearborn car, if that is a factor. 
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline Brant

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 11:47:02 AM »
Actually, some of the glossy wheels that we looked at were original paint wheels from a Jan. '65 Dearborn car.  I figure that semi-gloss black will be "accepted" more readily, but it is just not what we have observed.  By the way, the wheels themselves appear to have been semi-gloss black, and then the front faces are sprayed with this glossier black.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 05:51:58 PM »
The original wheels on my 10K mile dearborn vert are more of a semigloss.No were near as glossy as yours Brant.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 06:28:41 PM »
From the paint that is remaining in the center section, covered and protected by the tire, it seems to be less glossy than a true gloss paint.  Would anyone happen to know if Ford had a paint code, or a specification sheet, for their supplier to follow available for this application?
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline Brant

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 10:33:37 PM »
From the paint that is remaining in the center section, covered and protected by the tire, it seems to be less glossy than a true gloss paint.  Would anyone happen to know if Ford had a paint code, or a specification sheet, for their supplier to follow available for this application?

Gary,

On the wheels that I observed the entire wheel appeared to be painted a semi-gloss to flatter type black primer or something, and then the face was painted the glossier black.

I don't have any paper work or codes.  I'm just going by a bunch of earlier (Jan. 65 and earlier) Dearborn Mustang wheels that I have looked at.

Things certainly could have changed or perhaps not been consistent as Mike suggests in his post about his original later built car.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 12:49:58 AM »
The original wheels on my 10K mile dearborn vert are more of a semigloss.No were near as glossy as yours Brant.

+1 all of the original I have and have had are no where close to the gloss that the example appears to have. IMHO that level might get a small point deduction at a show
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 03:14:27 PM »
The wheels and tires are ready to reinstall.  I went with semi gloss black-it seemed the closest to what the original paint was, original wheel weights are looking nice too! :D

Steve-that's your wheel in the photo :)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 03:18:28 PM by Skyway65 »
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 09:39:18 AM »
The wheels and tires are ready to reinstall.  I went with semi gloss black-it seemed the closest to what the original paint was, original wheel weights are looking nice too! :D

Steve-that's your wheel in the photo :)

Curious as to what you used for valve stems and caps on this VERY original looking setup??

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 10:19:38 AM »
I used the NPD "concours correct" stems and caps.  Always the best stuff and service from NPD. ;)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline C5ZZKGT

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 06:07:27 AM »
I used the NPD "concours correct" stems and caps.  Always the best stuff and service from NPD. ;)

OK, Thanks!! What about the tires themselves-are they repros or NOS? I can't seem to tell what the brand is...Firestone??

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 11:58:14 AM »
I wish they were Firestones.  For some reason no one seems to be reproducing the correct Deluxe Champion tires that came on most '65 Mustangs. The tires I have are the Coker reproduction BF Goodrich Silvertown Bias Ply. 
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 02:08:55 PM »
Sorry to resurrect this old topic, but what kind of paint did you use on the wheels or what is everyone else using?  I finally got a set of date code correct wheels for my car to use for MCA shows only and I need to have them blasted.  Also with the paint being used, will it chip a lot when taking the hubcaps on and off?
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 10:14:03 PM »
You're not going to find any paint that will withstand scratching from installing/removing wheel covers.  Best thing you can do is apply a coat of black epoxy primer and then a good catalyzed semi-gloss black.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin