Author Topic: Stripping rear fastback trim panels  (Read 387 times)

Offline Yellow r code

Stripping rear fastback trim panels
« on: September 15, 2024, 02:07:00 PM »
I there a good way to strip the fiber glass panel in my 70 mustang. They have a lot of paint on them. Is there a good to strip them without damaging the fiber glass and the texture of the panels?  thanks
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 05:00:03 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline jwc66k

Re: Stripping rear fastback trim panels
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2024, 02:14:39 PM »
I've used "Krud-Kutter" (available at Home Depot) on painted surfaces inside my house. It "may" work on a fiberglass surface - but like they say, "Try it on a small section first".
Jim
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 05:00:12 PM by J_Speegle »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2024, 02:18:49 PM »
I there a good way to strip the fiber glass panel in my 70 mustang. They have a lot of paint on them. Is there a good to strip them without damaging the fiber glass and the texture of the panels?  thanks
Many of us swear by the process of using the heavy duty Easy Off oven cleaner (the one with lye) to strip the paint off of the interior panels without fear of damaging the fiberglass. Spray it on and let it set for about 30 minutes . Then using a stiff PLASTIC brush scrub to loosen paint . Rinse off with water and then dry. Re apply and do this process as many times as needed. You may have to do this as many as 3 or 4 times depending on how many layers to get paint completely off. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 05:00:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

Re: Stripping trim panels
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2024, 04:20:40 PM »
Wear rubber gloves if using oven cleaner.
Jim
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 04:53:11 PM by J_Speegle »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2024, 04:55:01 PM »
Wear rubber gloves if using oven cleaner.
Jim

And do it outside!! Or in a very well ventilated (big fans and open shop doors all around)

Will be merging this thread with the older thread on the same subject  :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2024, 05:00:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2024, 06:00:38 PM »
To add to the other safety suggestions, wearing a pair of safety glass's is a wise precaution. You don't want any of that stuff that might get flung off during the plastic brushing procedure to get in the eyes.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2024, 12:29:35 PM »
I have also used the easy off and it works good if you can find the older heavy duty with lye.  I have been told if you apply the easy off and then put piece in large plastic trash sack and let it sit overnight it helps expedite and works better.  I have not tried that yet so I don't know what the outcome would be.  I recommend trying on an old scrap piece first.

Dan

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2024, 01:05:30 PM »
Easy off oven cleaner has several different products in their line up. You must read the label given at least one of the different easy off products use potassium hydroxide (potash) which doesn't smell as bad. The heavy duty marked can that I have and bought a couple years ago has sodium hydroxide (lye)  listed in the ingredients.