Author Topic: Steering box removal  (Read 338 times)

Offline Corey Bowcutt

Steering box removal
« on: September 10, 2024, 12:56:34 PM »
I am removing the steering box from my 1964.5 project convertible.  I am used to my 1968 which has a rag joint between the steering column and box.  This 64.5 looks very different.  I presume I need to remove the steering wheel to get the steering box out.  Is this correct??  If so does the steering column just slide out of the steering box or is there some kind of rag joint between them I need to unscrew?

Thank you,

Corey

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Steering box removal
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2024, 01:29:11 PM »
The steering column tube pulls off the shaft.  If the car is together, some have found it easiest to remove the driver seat, LH engine bay brace and pull the box up out from the top.  If removing from the bottom, may have to jack up the engine for clearance.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Corey Bowcutt

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2024, 01:37:31 PM »
If I understand what you are saying you need to remove the steering column, and it simply slides out of the steering box.  Is that correct?

Corey

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2024, 02:02:00 PM »
the center column is what the steering wheel bolts to. it is part of the steering box. the outer sleeve is what comes off from the inside. not too hard if you do as suggested and remove the front seat.
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2024, 04:34:15 PM »
Corey,
This steering column assembly is shown in the "1964-65 Chassis Assembly Manual". I strongly suggest you invest in a set of Mustang Assembly Manuals for your year car. (Get the paper version, not the disc. You can make notes on paper.)
Ford Car Parts (aka the infamous MPC) does not show quite the detail as the assembly manuals.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Corey Bowcutt

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2024, 05:57:49 PM »
I actually do have all the assembly manuals and looked thru them and could not make out exactly what is going on.

I feel like I am starting to understand.  This is what I believe I need to do:

1) Remove front driver's seat
2) Remove steering wheel from steering column.
3) Unscrew column from dash and firewall.
4) I am not sure this is absolutely correct, but I believe at this point I can pull the steering column straight out leaving the center shaft which is part of the steering box.  If I cannot pull it all the way out, I will pull it as far as I can.
5) Unscrew and remove steering box with steering shaft attached (already disconnected from the power steering valve body).

Does this seem about right?

Corey

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2024, 06:17:38 PM »
Since your car is a convertible this will not be a hint for you but for others with closed cars. Be carefull when pulling up and out with the outer steering column that you don't touch or punch a hole in the headliner.  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2024, 06:54:22 PM »
Once the steering wheel is off, remove the U bracket holding the column tube to the dash, then just pull it out off the shaft.  The only thing at the firewall is a rubber seal.

Disconnect the turn signal harness plugs too, but that should be obvious.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Corey Bowcutt

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2024, 07:57:59 PM »
Thank you all.
Corey

Offline Corey Bowcutt

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2024, 08:19:31 AM »
I got the steering box out thanks to all the help I got here.  I imagined taking it out thru the bottom of the car (I have a 2-post lift).  This did not pan out.  You would have to remove the left motor mount if not the whole engine to make that happen.  Then I remembered Charles mention removing the left cross brace.  I figured that was to remove it from the top.  After removing the cross brace, left exhaust manifold and disconnecting the back 3 spark plugs I was just able to squeeze the steering box between the shock tower and the engine.  Success!!!!  What a relief.

Corey