Author Topic: 66 Starter details - Paint and overspray on nose cone?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Morsel

66 Starter details - Paint and overspray on nose cone?
« on: September 09, 2019, 11:15:04 PM »
Hey all,

Been looking through old threads and can't seem to find the answer to my equation, but how were the 66 starters painted, they look to be paint the usual semi gloss black fully assembled, but my main question is was there black overspray/ghosting on the nose cone or were those masked off... seems from photos I've found I've seen them both ways...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 06:47:29 PM by J_Speegle »
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 65/66 Starter details - Paint and overspray on nose cone?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 11:23:02 PM »
Hey all,

Been looking through old threads and can't seem to find the answer to my equation, but how were the 66 starters painted, they look to be paint the usual semi gloss black fully assembled, but my main question is was there black overspray/ghosting on the nose cone or were those masked off... seems from photos I've found I've seen them both ways...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
Not both ways. The paint was faded at the nose cone so as to provide a good ground for the starter. Faded/ghosted not taped off. The black was more on the glossier side of semigloss.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 11:52:11 PM »
Not both ways. The paint was faded at the nose cone so as to provide a good ground for the starter. Faded/ghosted not taped off. The black was more on the glossier side of semigloss.

Thanks Bob, very helpful, and of course while I was continuing to search I found this photo which shows a pretty heavy amount of black up onto the nose cone. Always can find my answers here if I keep digging :)

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 01:45:44 AM »
Yes there were some that appear to have been painted and the one ear or more were masked off with likely a slip over boot. There are a fair number of original examples and pictures from the period. With that said it is much more common to find them faded as Bob G described.

The faded ones may have even had the masks though the painter may have never gotten paint up that heavy and close to the mask most of the time. So it might have been there on more we just don't see the affects.

The new engine test pictures I posted the other day shows a starter with a fairly heavy coat of black on the nose though its clear one ear was left unpainted

I think the explanation works explaining the possibility of how you could create two different finishes with the same process
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 01:19:22 PM »
Yes there were some that appear to have been painted and the one ear or more were masked off with likely a slip over boot. There are a fair number of original examples and pictures from the period. With that said it is much more common to find them faded as Bob G described.

The faded ones may have even had the masks though the painter may have never gotten paint up that heavy and close to the mask most of the time. So it might have been there on more we just don't see the affects.

The new engine test pictures I posted the other day shows a starter with a fairly heavy coat of black on the nose though its clear one ear was left unpainted

I think the explanation works explaining the possibility of how you could create two different finishes with the same process

Thanks Jeff, those test engine pictures are great, didn't see those and very helpful for many reasons. I'm adding the link to that thread incase anyone in the future has this same question and wants an example.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=20850.msg114202;boardseen#new

Thanks to both of you for the help as usual.

Jason

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 01:23:22 AM »
When only Pics of Unrestored Originals will do!

No info on what cars they were pulled from...

Enjoy..

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline Morsel

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 01:36:49 PM »
When only Pics of Unrestored Originals will do!

No info on what cars they were pulled from...

Enjoy..

Wow, fantastic, I like how the hump cover shows spatter on that as well near the nose cone, I was thinking that would have to be the case since it's on the same plane as the nose cone unless they masked it off which didn't seem likely.

Thanks for the pictures, helps a lot.

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 02:17:19 PM »
Wow, fantastic, I like how the hump cover shows spatter on that as well near the nose cone, I was thinking that would have to be the case since it's on the same plane as the nose cone unless they masked it off which didn't seem likely.

I believe you will find paint on the nose cone past the flange is an oddity and I would not copy that practice unless we found a fair number  done that way

Believe there was a mask or possibly a holder these were placed in during painting - possibly (given the spray pattern) something where they sat nose down in - this would give us the shadow from the main case body to the nose cone we somethings see and allow the rest of the starter to be painted all at once
Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 02:29:19 PM »
I believe you will find paint on the nose cone past the flange is an oddity and I would not copy that practice unless we found a fair number  done that way

Believe there was a mask or possibly a holder these were placed in during painting - possibly (given the spray pattern) something where they sat nose down in - this would give us the shadow from the main case body to the nose cone we somethings see and allow the rest of the starter to be painted all at once

Sorry I wasn't more clear, I wasn't talking about the nose cone itself, was talking about the "hump cover" that I circled in the attached. My point was I was wondering how they would get full black paint coverage there when we see ghost/fading of the black paint on the lower part of the nose cone that attaches to the starter housing, as mentioned above the fade is more common then full coverage on that section.

Thanks Jeff...

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 05:15:19 PM »
Sorry I wasn't more clear, I wasn't talking about the nose cone itself, was talking about the "hump cover" that I circled in the attached. My point was I was wondering how they would get full black paint coverage there when we see ghost/fading of the black paint on the lower part of the nose cone that attaches to the starter housing, as mentioned above the fade is more common then full coverage on that section.

Looks, in the example, that the area highlighted didn't get full coverage, was thin and in turn now is rusty when compared to the rest of the cover where it received more paint. This would support the idea of the downward facing surface if my earlier guess about position and process is correct, as apparent in the picture.
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 Starter details - Paint and overspray on nose cone?
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2024, 04:37:03 PM »
Was reminded of this thread and another close up of an original early starter picture

Check out picture RSB-2L  & PS-2G (same picture) in the following thread

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=20850.msg114202;boardseen#new
Jeff Speegle