Author Topic: Whittek Clamp Finish Question  (Read 236 times)

Offline dkknab

Whittek Clamp Finish Question
« on: September 04, 2024, 03:12:57 PM »
NOTE: The first post below was separated from another thread in a specific area of the site. Thought it would better serve everyone to separate it and post it hear as a focus point for that discussion rather than have a dozen or more of them scattered in different sections.

Not to derail this thread,  but what is the finish of the tower heater hose clamps, particularly for those at the heater box inside the car?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 06:56:13 PM by J_Speegle »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Whittek Clamp Finish Question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2024, 05:39:20 PM »
Not to derail this thread,  but what is the finish of the tower heater hose clamps, particularly for those at the heater box inside the car?
The original Whittek clamps typically had a galvanized appearance when new.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 11:23:50 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2024, 07:21:08 PM »
Finish would be the same for all of the heater hose clamps. Often the interior ones are the best at showing the original finish.

I have mixed findings and opinion of the original finish on the bands that make up the clamps. Have seen really nice originals with no sign of a galvanized looking  finish (even comparing protected and exposed surfaces) and have seen service replacements and Whittek clamps for different purposes and sizes with that look. We may have different plating methods or products depending on type of clamp and which year they were made/plated

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2024, 08:09:57 PM »
Correct, the Smog ones are dichromate plated.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2024, 10:52:56 PM »
Here are a handful.  Not sure where I got the top 2 with 4/77 and 1/78 dates.  The bottom 2 are from NPD. I got a mixed bag of clamps.  Seems the impression in the clamp band can be just enough off center that it's nearly impossible to cinch down the clamp and have the tower form uniformly.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 11:11:38 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2024, 11:27:18 PM »
I should have known the time I forgot to write "typically" to cover any anomalies in the millions made that may be different the word is needed for clarification. I amended my post.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby