Author Topic: 68 Accelerator Link  (Read 793 times)

Offline dkknab

68 Accelerator Link
« on: July 14, 2024, 10:44:31 PM »
I'm trying to remove the accelerator link to clean and refresh. Only problem is I can not maneuver it out of place. The engine and exhaust manifold are in the way. Is there a trick or is this not possible?
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 Accelerator Link
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2024, 02:49:30 PM »
Guess my first question is what part are you calling the accelerator "link"?  Can't picture something that would be blocked from movement by both the engine and the exhaust manifold on a V8 - Small block in your signature. From the term I would have thought you might be referring to the small linkage on the carburetor but apparently not. Sure some additional information will help

Not a term I'm familiar with

Are you asking about the throttle "linkage" attached to the firewall?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 03:03:42 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2024, 03:03:01 PM »
I'll WAG that it is the throttle shaft.

Mounts to the firewall, but extends through the firewall and the gas pedal attaches to one end. Not sure that those can be removed with the engine installed.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline dkknab

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2024, 03:18:58 PM »
I'll WAG that it is the throttle shaft.

Mounts to the firewall, but extends through the firewall and the gas pedal attaches to one end. Not sure that those can be removed with the engine installed.

That's it.  Sorry for the wrong name.  The good news is it does come out if you rotate it towards the driver side.  Getting it back in may be a trick as I'll be installing a new grommet through the firewall. I had to also remove the air cleaner totally from the carb to get wiggle room. As you can tell mine is out. I'm guessing it has a P&O finish.  Mine had blue engine overspray from the PO.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 03:21:39 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2024, 03:20:51 PM »
That's it.  Sorry for the wrong name.  The good news is it does come out if you rotate it towards the driver side.  Getting it back or may be a trick as I'll be installing a new grommet through the firewall. I had to also remove the air cleaner totally from the carb to get wiggle room. As you can tell mine is out. In guessing it has a P&O finish.  Mine had blue engine overspray from the PO.

Thank you.
Yes it has P+O finish.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2024, 03:42:58 PM »
I was able to wiggle one in on a '68 428CJ, automatic car, so would guess it can be done on a small block.  It was a tight fit for sure.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline dkknab

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2024, 08:47:25 PM »
I was able to wiggle one in on a '68 428CJ, automatic car, so would guess it can be done on a small block.  It was a tight fit for sure.

I tried wiggling with the air filter housing off,  no go.  Then took out nr 8 spark plug.  Still no go.  Finally I took off the valve cover and finally was able to get it in. I leaned it toward the passenger side with the gas pedal arm facing down.  Wow, let's not do that again any time soon.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior