Author Topic: Repainting '66 289--Details Needed  (Read 8648 times)

Offline Lil Bit

66 289 engine color
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2024, 09:43:38 PM »
Hello. I am looking for the correct color for a 66 289 2v engine. Car was built March 15 66 Dearborn. I have had a lot of conflicting information and shoulder shrugs, trying to keep the car as correct and original as possible. Have been told black with gold valve covers, and light blue, but not corporate blue. Thanks

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 66 289 engine color
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2024, 09:45:52 PM »
you were told wrong in both cases. corporate blue is correct.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2024, 09:46:28 PM »
Hello. I am looking for the correct color for a 66 289 2v engine. Car was built March 15 66 Dearborn. I have had a lot of conflicting information and shoulder shrugs, trying to keep the car as correct and original as possible. Have been told black with gold valve covers, and light blue, but not corporate blue. Thanks
Ford corporate dark blue . Not the light blue.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2024, 10:38:31 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the support and information your looking for to help with your concours related projects.

For this question you would be best served using the search feature. Not perfect but it can often provide a quicker and more complete (sometimes) answer to your questions. For this one there is likely a dozen similar or same threads. Everything from

- the best source of product for refinishing you engine correct
- list of what was installed when the engine was painted (was a lot of them) and what was not. HINT: its FAQ #11 in each section in the individual year section of the site
- Ford ad they published explaining the change
- dozens of unrestored examples with original paint still on the engines and more. You wil lfind these in the Unrestored Picture section of the site

Since our practice is to merge threads on the same subject this one will be merged with one of those longer and earlier threads

Again welcome to the site

A couple of threads but plenty more of what products worked and didn't work for members

Engine Rattle Can -  Ford Corporate Blue or Old Ford Blue https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=23318.msg145799#msg145799

289 Paint process - https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=29359.msg178706#msg178706

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Lil Bit

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2024, 10:43:26 PM »
Again, thank you so much for the help! I will have questions about wheels soon and hope to post about the completion of our "Lil Bit next month!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2024, 11:11:48 PM »
Again, thank you so much for the help! I will have questions about wheels soon and hope to post about the completion of our "Lil Bit next month!

"Next month"!!  How long have you been working on it. If you choose there is a section of the site that was set up for members to make a thread about their restorations, as questions on various subjects and get tips and hints from those who have traveled similar roads before you. We warned :) since we have a fairly narrow focus here on this site posting pictures, progress and such will invite comments so  anticipate and expect input, corrections and hints on how to improve the project, part or overall project. All of this is meant to help both you and others who will view the thread.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 11:14:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2024, 12:22:20 AM »
See attached for the blue paint. This was taken of my 1966 Jan Jose GT Fastback. The car now speaks Australian.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.