Author Topic: 1967 SJ S code conv 9 inch rear identifying marks and springs  (Read 474 times)

Offline one red gta conv

Hi everyone, I just got around to pulling the rear axle back out of my 67 gta 390 and started cleaning it up. I took some pictures and wondered if there were more markings that I can?t see or missed. The axle does not have the large filler plug in the back (late model). I can see a 5 at left top of pumpkin and it looks like two slashes on the right side. Yellow dab by the fill plug and pink down by the bottom. The one that is real hard to see is a white section that looks like maybe a C 1 or L and C or G and a spray dap of yellow and blue I think on the yoke. The pinion snubber is C3AA-4906-c and the springs are C7ZA-5556-AS and below that is320E6. I could not find a 67 detailed rear but would be great if anyone has one. Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 11:18:26 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 SJ S code conv 9 inch rear identifying marks and springs
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2024, 11:18:10 PM »
Thanks for sharing. Most of the markings are the standard ones applied at Sterling and at least one is from a San Jose process (guessed it was a San Jose car based on that one picture before I looked at the car's Marti report.

Added to the title so that others could identify if the information applied to their cars or not.

For others the VIN is 7R03S203468

Keep an eye open on the rest of the car since if these were visible there could be plenty more on other areas of the car  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline one red gta conv

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2024, 11:38:05 PM »
Thank you Jeff Yes there are a lot of other markings it is real clean with no rust ever and all original sheet metal like new. It just has 50'000 miles I have had it over 25 years now. Just getting close to finishing. Thanks

Offline one red gta conv

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2024, 01:11:03 AM »
Hi again I took a couple more pictures of the 9 inch housing from my 67 gta. They are very faint so I hope someone can help identify what they are. I also took pictures of the axle paint marks. I am still hoping someone will post a picture of a 67 9 inch all restored. It would also be great if anyone can figure out the white lettering on the pumpkin. Thank you
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 05:45:26 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2024, 05:45:08 PM »
Thanks

When was this car completed at San Jose? Guessing a spring or later build date.

Have you found the number sequences on the rear housing elsewhere on the car?  Very likely connected to the second rotation number of the car and would have been in the upper left hand corner of the buildsheet
Jeff Speegle

Offline one red gta conv

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2024, 12:55:46 PM »
Hi Jeff Thanks for getting back. The scheduled build date was 5/4/67, actually build 5/8/67 and released 5/9. This is all I have for dates. I am only putting the paint dabs and letters that I can tell what they are back on and a few on this rear end have got me stumped maybe bad eyes so I was hoping someone here will have more legible marks from the same time in San Jose. Thanks for your time

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2024, 03:38:52 PM »
Thanks but at the same time sorry I asked. Responded to you last post before I merged the new thread with the older one that included a copy of your Marti report.

Will see how I can help. Somewhere in the hundreds of other 67 San Jose and examples from the other two plants 9" rearend pictures we should be able to find some other similar or same markings but as mentioned there are one or two on your rearend that are specifically San Jose marks I believe

As mentioned I would search out of at least keep an eye open for 718 elsewhere on things like subassembles, fuse box, seats, door panels and so on.

Yellow daub near the filler plug on those S codes that received that style of third member is typical. Two digit assembler number at the top of the 3rd member is typical also. The second number is sometimes seen but not on all in my examples. Number (typically two digit) on the passenger side of the 3rd member is also typical. Typically a brighter color than the one or two at the top of the case.  There was normally a series of letters and numbers on the bottom of the third member directly behind where the pinion retainer attaches. Those are often more difficult to read due to damage from running over things with the car or use of a floor jack and such  :(
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 03:59:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline one red gta conv

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2024, 10:23:01 PM »
Thank you Jeff I know it it is a lot of work to look these things up but I really appreciate it as I would like to get this as close as I can to the original and only putting back the letters and marks I know go there. I will look for more 718 numbers on the car. Thank you, Doug