Author Topic: Still looking for correct textured hood stripe paint for ?70 Mach 1  (Read 1796 times)

Offline DaveF

I am getting ready to have my hood repainted. I have the stencil for it, but I am having trouble finding the correct, textured matte black paint to do the hood stripes. Thanks
1970 Mustang Mach One
428 SCJ w/Drag Pak 3.91
Metuchen plant
Built 9/5/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Calling TCP Global didn't help?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ExportMach

I am getting ready to have my hood repainted. I have the stencil for it, but I am having trouble finding the correct, textured matte black paint to do the hood stripes. Thanks

I puchased 1 quart of textured low gloss black from TCP Global in 2021, cost $97 but the end result is fantastic. Instructions say to apply two wet coats. I used the stencil too.
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
I puchased 1 quart of textured low gloss black from TCP Global in 2021, cost $97 but the end result is fantastic. Instructions say to apply two wet coats. I used the stencil too.

Thanks for the review of the product and process. It hopefully helps many
Jeff Speegle

Offline fla2005

I have used PPG Duracryl DDL 9381 textured black on 1970 Mach1 and Boss 302 applications.

Offline DaveF

Re: Still looking for correct textured hood stripe paint for ?70 Mach 1
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2024, 11:03:16 AM »
So I contacted TCP Global.  They assured me that #9381 was the correct product for my hood stripes. I was relieved (for a while) feeling like I had found a solution to my problem. When I talked to my body guy (who has considerable experience and ran his own shop for 40 years), he adamantly said that he wouldn?t spray acrylic lacquer over hardened Urethane. He claimed that it will wrinkle and he just wasn?t going to do it. I have had a forum member reach out and tell me that he has done this exact process many times without any wrinkling issues. I called TCP Global and asked one of their tech assistants about this issue, and he said that this is not an issue that I should be concerned with. He said the only time that I would have a problem like this is if I sprayed the Urethane over the laquer instead of the other way around. I am not a painter, I don?t feel that it is my place to argue with an experienced painter. Can anyone else weigh in on this process? Your experience?
1970 Mustang Mach One
428 SCJ w/Drag Pak 3.91
Metuchen plant
Built 9/5/1969

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2024, 01:26:25 PM »
 it has been common knowledge with painters since the 70's that you could paint enamel over lacquer but if you painted lacquer over enamel it would wrinkle or more commonly check.The issue doesn't come up too often now because lacquer is not used as much as it was in the past.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 05:51:12 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2024, 01:50:21 PM »
....... I am not a painter, I don?t feel that it is my place to argue with an experienced painter. Can anyone else weigh in on this process? Your experience?

Not a painter either thought have painted a few cars and painted the Mach I/Boss style black out hoods on a number of cars that has always been the recommendation and what I followed. Way too much work to screw things up in the end and have re redo allot of earlier work.
Jeff Speegle