Author Topic: Space saver spare  (Read 868 times)

Offline mgerg11

Space saver spare
« on: June 02, 2024, 07:39:04 PM »
Hello-  I recently picked up a 70 boss 302 and I am going through it.  I am trying to find out if this spare is legit or repop.  I see a K for kelsey hayes and an M on there with an upside down 25 along w some other stampings.  Any insight would help.  Searches have brought up some confusing info for me.

Thanks!  Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Space saver spare
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2024, 09:41:14 PM »
I don't think that the yellow warning sticker came into use until 71 production.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Space saver spare
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2024, 07:10:13 PM »
I don't think that the yellow warning sticker came into use until 71 production.

But was sent out to all registered owners of earlier cars with a letter instructing owners to apply the sticker to their space saver wheel.

In any case the paint markings are not consistent with ones found on other 70 Boss 302's Spare is not a reproduction, none have been reproduced but rim at least is likely from a later application.

Have not figured out the markings to the tread yet but those likely relate to the tire and its supplier not the completed assembly
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)