Author Topic: 68 Carburetor Details 2V Heater Hose Bracket  (Read 696 times)

Offline dkknab

68 Carburetor Details 2V Heater Hose Bracket
« on: June 01, 2024, 10:00:26 PM »
I was looking through earlier C code pictures to try to figure out what's best for my pcv hose connection when I stumbled upon this 66 carburetor detail.  Looks like the heater hose bracket in the picture EC2 is yellow chromate color.  Is that also the case for 68 2V carbs?

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5371.msg159025#msg159025

From that picture it also looks like just one of the heater hoses runs next to the carb. I know this is a 66 but I'm wondering if that is the case for all 2V carbs.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 10:04:13 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 Carburetor Details 2V Heater Hose Bracket
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2024, 11:44:06 PM »
Will have to look for some pictures if I have one without the air cleaner in place and showing the details your looking for. But yes the bracket only accepts one hose, and IMHO not all plants used the heater hose straps as the assembly manual shows since this is a car plant not engine plant detail.

I'll also see if I can find a NOS 2 barrel (think its dated 68 or 69 - can't recall) I've got somewhere - I hope  ::)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 11:47:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dkknab

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2024, 09:43:00 AM »
Will have to look for some pictures if I have one without the air cleaner in place and showing the details your looking for. But yes the bracket only accepts one hose, and IMHO not all plants used the heater hose straps as the assembly manual shows since this is a car plant not engine plant detail.

I'll also see if I can find a NOS 2 barrel (think its dated 68 or 69 - can't recall) I've got somewhere - I hope  ::)

Thanks Jeff.  I think I've all but decided to forgo the aluminum straps and will have one of the heater hoses outside of the pcv so I can use the proper vent hose.

Here are a couple of pictures of my carb bracket after a night in evaporust.  Looks like the plating has worn away some.  I can't really see any gold or yellow evidence so I wonder if it wasn't in 68. Let me know what you discover please on your end.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline dkknab

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2024, 10:36:35 PM »
According to NPD this part is called the Choke Housing Heat Shield item number 9861-1A. In the description it says its the correct finish zinc dichromate. Can anyone confirm this is correct for 68s?
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2024, 11:14:06 PM »
David....Im going to keep referring you back to the same information on this car because like I already said this is as close of a reference to what you have as possible.  This exact detail you can see in this video here.  Go to the 10:51 mark if you dont want to watch the whole thing. 

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline dkknab

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2024, 08:25:10 AM »
David....Im going to keep referring you back to the same information on this car because like I already said this is as close of a reference to what you have as possible.  This exact detail you can see in this video here.  Go to the 10:51 mark if you dont want to watch the whole thing. 

Thank you Marcus.  Here's a screenshot at about that time.  Clearly no yellow on that heat shield.  Especially as compared to the parts in the shot that are. I guess I'm putting mine back on as is.  I stand corrected by Marty. It appears this shield is light yellow so I'll go ahead and lightly chromate mine.

I'll be sure to refer to your video.  Have you finished and posted other ones of other parts of the car?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 11:50:06 AM by dkknab »
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2024, 08:56:25 AM »
Thank you Marcus.  Here's a screenshot at about that time.  Clearly no yellow on that heat shield.  Especially as compared to the parts in the shot that are. I guess I'm putting mine back on as is.

I'll be sure to refer to your video.  Have you finished and posted other ones of other parts of the car?

Dichromate can be light or dark. The one in Marcus's video is of the lighter version. I have seen a number of them that were dichromate. You said you cleaned yours with evaporust. Evaporust will quickly remove the dichromate leaving the zinc.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2024, 11:29:59 AM »
Dichromate can be light or dark. The one in Marcus's video is of the lighter version. I have seen a number of them that were dichromate. You said you cleaned yours with evaporust. Evaporust will quickly remove the dichromate leaving the zinc.

Thank you Marty. Clearly my inability to discriminate between finishes showed off in my previous post. So let me correct me earlier post and I went ahead and did a light chromate coating for just about 10 seconds total dipping a few times. Here's the result installed.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2024, 06:42:42 PM »
Did look for that Carb but could find it - likely gave it to someone that could use it.  I do recall these brackets being zinc dichromate from recall.

As always with zinc dichromate the yellow/gold color does not last as long as the underlaying zinc and can often be thin/washed out. Originally it was more of a wash/dye job and its not unusual for current platters to apply it with a heavier hand IMHO

Just adding couple of pictures to illustrate the items being discussed and how age can affect finishes. Also the location and how much expose it got over the years can affect the life of the wash/dye also. In some below we can make out other dichromated parts elsewhere on the carbs

Remember lighting, contrast and camera settings can effect what you are seeing in the pictures
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 07:23:46 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)