Author Topic: 70 Dearborn Boss 302 Trunk lid Spare Holddown Decal  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Kevin1970302

70 Dearborn Boss 302 Trunk lid Spare Holddown Decal
« on: July 17, 2024, 09:15:50 AM »
Not sure if this is correct topic section to post but here it is, what is the consensus on what spare tire decal was used on the 1970 boss 302 from Dearborn here are 3 70 b2?s with full size decal but came with space saver. I?m curious how it judged by the Mca also. One of the photos is from my 70 b2 which I?ve owned since 1976 another a boss forum and one from a wrecked 70 b2
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 03:01:52 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Trunk lid
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2024, 02:55:17 PM »
Kind of have a mix of questions

First your asking about the original/correct decal for the application

How judges at MCA would judge or score the same.

Firstly judges should be looking for original details or at least if they are factory and original not deduct any points for it. If you anticipate them having a different view suggest that you provide pictures and documentation and introduce that after the team introduces itself on show day and offer the information in a matter of fact way for their consideration So back to the original question

Guess I'm a bit confused about the question. Is it that your asking about what would be typically for a 70 Dearborn built Boss 302 as far as trunk decal?

Not sure what the mention of what I think your describing as three Boss 429 is in referencing is about unless your asking about those and not the 70 Boss 302

Either way is would be great to start what production period your focusing on since that would possible narrow down the pool or if you want to look at the complete production year.

Moving this to the 70 Boss section as it looks like the best choice at the moment 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Kevin1970302

Re: 70 Dearborn Boss 302 Trunk lid Spare Holddown Decal
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2024, 05:23:30 PM »
Sorry I probably wasn?t very clear, I was questioning if the general discussion topic was appropriate for the post, evidently not 🥴 2nd I?m curious if these examples of 1970 boss 302 trunk decals for spare tires would have deductions or even be considered acceptable ? I?ve never had experienced MCA  judging but recently meet an individual who has which got me fired up again and has me questioning some things this happens to be one, I thought I?d ask  here. I?m very happy to hear your response that looking for original details / factory original is what judges should be looking at. I was told in the past I stored my space saver jack wrong but yet I have the decal showing differently ( I store it as it was intended now on felt atop tire ) just got me curious. Oh and I don?t think I mention anything about boss 429?s but I would like one of them also 🤣 also thank you for taking the time to respond kevin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2024, 08:40:31 PM »
First - forgot to welcome you to the site

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong) you are not referring to your or someone else's specific car but instead are asking if some of the cars received the incorrect spare tire decal rather than the specific decals Ford wanted the workers to apply at the factory. Yes this sometimes happened,  workers mess up. This could this could and likely did on one car or a group of cars. This could be an individual worker that just grabbed the wrong one or a worker that shift just installed the same decal on all the Mustang before some inspector caught it and had him change his ways. Basically to more pay attention and put the correct one on the cars as outlined.  It just happened.

To support the idea that a specific car was built that way you would need to collect pictures of the original trunk lid and decals on the original paint along with the stamping date and other supporting documentation. Then f more than one car built at the same time and plant also had the same detail finding and documenting those might help your case if you choose to go that route.

Of course that would not be an easy task to try and document if there was a group of cars especially given the condition of most of the cars this many years later and the number that have also been restored erasing many of the original details.

In these cases (as we typically suggest for "mistake cars") its always best to place  or reproduce what was expected, what was typical or as Ford designed and wanted unless you have good documentation. Without it you won't or typically won't "get by" at a show plus you will also mislead many that view the car. They will often assume  that the detail is correct for all similar models and in turn you will be responsible for their seeing and following your lead.

If you have a car with an oddity it can be a challenging choice but one you must make and understand the ramifications of your choices. And as we've seen you'll become the guy with "that car"  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 08:58:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Steve Schenck

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2024, 10:35:12 PM »
Kevin, I also have a 70 Boss 302 that came with the standard full size spare jacking instructions decal, rather than the space saver instruction decal. My car was built at Dearborn on April 20th. Though the car was repainted at some time in its past, the underside of the trunk lid still retained its original black textured paint with its original jacking instructions decal still in place. It would be interesting to know the build date of your car. Here's a photo of the underside of my trunk lid. When I finish the restoration of my car, I will replace the sticker as applied by the assembly plant. If there are any judging questions, I will simply show photographs as evidence of how it was originally tagged.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2024, 10:45:55 PM by Steve Schenck »