Author Topic: 68 NJ Radiator Support Plug Buttons  (Read 769 times)

Offline dkknab

68 NJ Radiator Support Plug Buttons
« on: May 27, 2024, 04:23:21 PM »
On either side of my radiator support I have a square hole about 3/4 inch wide and 3/4 inch tall.  Is this the same hole as listed on the assembly manual? Per the assembly manual for the body page N8-8105-1, it calls for a plug button 376966-s listed as item AD. That's a round plug for a square hole. Doesn't make sense but is that correct? Also the assembly manual just refers to a hole on the left side. I have a similar hole on the right side too.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 06:34:11 PM by J_Speegle »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 68 Radiator Support Plug Buttos
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 05:37:56 PM »
On either side of my radiator support I have a square hole about 3/4 inch wide and 3/4 inch tall.  Is this the same hole as listed on the assembly manual? Per the assembly manual for the body page N8-8105-1, it calls for a plug button 376966-s listed as item AD. That's a round plug for a square hole. Doesn't make sense but is that correct? Also the assembly manual just refers to a hole on the left side. I have a similar hole on the right side too.
Yes in this case round plug. There is a oval plug for the 67 hole in the same location but that is not relevant to the 68.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 68 Radiator Support Plug Buttos
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 05:40:37 PM »
It is needed on the driver side to keep water from possibly negatively effecting the regulator. Not really needed and I haven't always seen the passenger side hole plugged.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dkknab

Re: 68 Radiator Support Plug Buttons
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 05:44:32 PM »
It is needed on the driver side to keep water from possibly negatively effecting the regulator. Not really needed and I haven't always seen the passenger side hole plugged.

Since it's not called for in the assembly manual I'm guessing I should leave the passenger side hole unplugged,  open. Thank you.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2024, 11:31:26 AM »
Metuchen cars have 4 square holes. Rubber plugs typically go in top holes only
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline dkknab

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2024, 01:32:28 PM »
Metuchen cars have 4 square holes. Rubber plugs typically go in top holes only

Well I'll be dipped.  Sure enough,  I have 2 additional holes up high on the radiator support and they are plugged with the rubber plugs.  Guess I'll leave the 2 bottom ones unplugged. Thank you.

Can you tell me anything about the size of the hole next to the alternator regulator and whether a Metuchen car uses the T- clip instead of the strap per the assembly manual to secure the wiring harness? Also what size is the hole? Mine measures about .28 inches which is too large to hold the normal straps.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2024, 01:41:08 PM »
 The odd looking opening is actually not typically a perfect square hole . It started off in earlier 67 as a oblong hole and then transitioned in later 67 production to have a square punched added to the oblong so what you see is both. It is unused on a Mustang but has to do with the mounting of the headlight assembly on a Cougar which shares the same radiator support.

Offline dkknab

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2024, 02:06:55 PM »
The odd looking opening is actually not typically a perfect square hole . It started off in earlier 67 as a oblong hole and then transitioned in later 67 production to have a square punched added to the oblong so what you see is both. It is unused on a Mustang but has to do with the mounting of the headlight assembly on a Cougar which shares the same radiator support.

It is a curious looking hole.  Makes sense it was first an oblong or oval hole and then they superimposed a square-ish hole over top. It's also neat that my top 2 are filled with the rubber plugs as apparently it was with Metuchen cars.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2024, 04:06:18 PM »

Can you tell me anything about the size of the hole next to the alternator regulator and whether a Metuchen car uses the T- clip instead of the strap per the assembly manual to secure the wiring harness? Also what size is the hole? Mine measures about .28 inches which is too large to hold the normal straps.
The assembly line wiring harness has the taped in locating plug that goes in that hole. The other holes for the tapped in loop style connectors are .25.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline dkknab

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2024, 05:18:21 PM »
The assembly line wiring harness has the taped in locating plug that goes in that hole. The other holes for the tapped in loop style connectors are .25.

Thank you.  Mine is white and cracked.   I've seen it at least one other place behind the heater box. The one below the battery seems to be a different version and is black.  I have some new white ones on the way that I hope are good replacements.

I've also noticed that replacement wiring harnesses number c8zz-14290-b also seem too include the taped in T-clip  for that section just below the regulator.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 05:21:43 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior