Author Topic: Decode Engine Number FE 390  (Read 311 times)

Offline Tiny

Decode Engine Number FE 390
« on: May 27, 2024, 05:43:20 PM »
Hi all, is it possible to decode and engine number on a FE 390.  See the attached image. Number is, 3617 Y BBB.

Looks fairly random to me.  Was there any association with the VIN of the vehicle when stamped at the Factory or are they just random.

Thanks
67 San Jose Built GTA 390 Coupe
C6, PS, A/C

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Decode Engine Number FE 390
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 05:48:27 PM »
Hi all, is it possible to decode and engine number on a FE 390.  See the attached image. Number is, 3617 Y BBB.

Looks fairly random to me.  Was there any association with the VIN of the vehicle when stamped at the Factory or are they just random.

Thanks
It is common for rebuilders to metal stamp a engine block for identification. Given the content of the stamping in the picture a rebuilder stamp would be my guess.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Tiny

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 07:40:40 PM »
Thanks Bob, much appreciated
C6, PS, A/C

Offline Tiny

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 07:43:09 PM »
Were there any rules that the Factory would use in determining an engine number when they were assembled at the factory.  things like using the VIN code of the vehicle or something else that would identify an engine to a particular vehicle.
C6, PS, A/C

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 08:07:47 PM »
Were there any rules that the Factory would use in determining an engine number when they were assembled at the factory.  things like using the VIN code of the vehicle or something else that would identify an engine to a particular vehicle.
Most typically there was not anything metal stamped into the engine block or heads at the engine plant. Starting in 1968 production all engines were supposed to be VIN marked . Some had a full Ford VIN and some a partial including the last sequential numbers. Depending on the engine family determined where the number was metal stamped. The marking was done at the Ford assembly plant shortly before the engine was installed in the chassis. The only BB that I can think of that had something stamped at the engine plant was the 428 SCJ that sometimes but not always had SUPER stamped in the front of the block near the oil filter adapter to help assemblyline workers not get it mixed up with regular CJ's. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Tiny

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 08:28:05 PM »
Interesting, thanks Bob
C6, PS, A/C