Author Topic: Engine ground cable question  (Read 3563 times)

Offline dbm350

Engine ground cable question
« on: December 18, 2010, 02:39:44 PM »
      I am working on a 1966 San Jose car - 289 - automatic. My question is which bolt hole in the back of the head does the ground cable attach to? The tranny filler tube attaches to the hole that is on the far right. If the cable attaches in this hole does it go on top ofthe filler tube bracket or underneath ? Also what is the correct finish for the tranny dipstick handle?   Thanks, Doug

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Engine ground cable question
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:47:30 PM »
The tube is semi-gloss black .

Would post a picture of the location of the grounding strap to the engine but can't seem to get my b*** hosting site to accept :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 09:12:29 AM »
Doug,
My 65 289 Dearborn ground strap is connected to a bolt on the backside of the engine near the point where the transmission dipstick is bolted on. The transmission dipstick should be natural. I cleaned mine up real good and clear coated it so as not rust. Now I wondering if my ground strap is in the correct location.
Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline dbm350

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 01:20:54 PM »
  I guess that is what I am wondering. Does the ground strap attach to the same bolt as the filler tube?  I did not take the car apart, so I really don't have a good reference. Dave, thanks for the info on the dipstick handle. I know the MCA rules say natural, but other people have said black.   Doug

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 08:12:35 PM »
  I guess that is what I am wondering. Does the ground strap attach to the same bolt as the filler tube?  ............

Looking at some pictures of a very low mileage second half of production 66 San Jose V8 car I would say no - it goes to a separate mounting location. That seems to match what I recall when taking apart allot of these cars ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dbm350

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 12:16:02 AM »
    Would  the ground strap attach to the hole directly below the filler tube or the hole up next to the intake manifold-toward the top of the head?    Doug

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 08:17:13 AM »
mine connected to the hole next to the intake manifold-toward the top of the head but maybe someone else can chime in here.

Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline jstefanick

• Restoration Pics
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 02:38:35 AM »
Instead of opening a new topic, this does pertain to grounding straps.

I have a 66 6 Cylinder San Jose build 3 speed convertible. I noticed tonight that the grounding strap is missing.

What is the correct position for the ground strap to be mounted for 6 cylinder- manual transmission cars?

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »
The Osbourne Assembly Manuals show it attached to the upper bolt of the starter motor and to the firewall.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com