Author Topic: 68 Drive Shaft Markings C code C4  (Read 541 times)

Offline ruppstang

68 Drive Shaft Markings C code C4
« on: October 15, 2023, 08:30:52 PM »
Here is one I did for a 68 SJ C code coupe.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 11:17:18 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline dkknab

Re: 68 Drive Shaft Markings C code C4
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2023, 08:42:08 PM »
68 C Code Sprint B 289 2v had a red stripe on the rear of the driveshaft as pictured.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 11:17:27 PM by J_Speegle »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 11:44:47 PM »
Split these off to their own thread since they are 68 examples. Including a close up of the section of a 68 C code built Mustangs with an automatic transmission  ;)

Interesting to not that they appears (well at least at San Jose - the example at the top of the page) they started out installing the same driveshaft as they used at the end of 67 C code automatic production. At least from the engineering code printed on the buildsheets to help guide them to the correct one for the application. Some where between Aug 67 and Decemeber production. Sorry didn't have any clear examples between these two approximated months. Had to use the projected/scheduled build date from the build sheets

Below are close up sections of buildsheets from both San Jose and NJ built cars ans their \approximated build dates (from top to bottom

25H - Aug 25th
31M-02A - Guesses based on VIN
05C - Mar 5th
21F - June 21st

Some of you may remember an earlier thread on the subject.  Might merge this one with that one in the near future
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline lightwtjet

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 12:05:50 AM »
Both previous posts show a dark red color on the driveshaft yokes (front and rear) . I have not seen this before- can you tell me why you used that color?  I added small orange markings on the rear of my 1968 Mustang driveshaft (428 engine with a 9 inch axle) as I was told that Ford used the driveshaft color code at the rear to match that color on the axle yoke.     

At Ford, I worked in the group that selected various driveshaft designs to reduce axle noise. Some of our products were very sensitive to axle whine. We would test numerous lining materials inside the driveshaft to damp out the noise as well as the tube in tube design. I regret not keeping records of that process. None of us ever imagined that people would be restoring these cars 55 years later.
1968 CJ - Owner and paint original. Dec 67 build in Dearborn. One of 50 135 Cobra Jets. Ford engineering used it for 8 mos. to resolve problems in the 50 early car build. Ford by-passed the normal sign off to get cars to the Winternationals drag race.

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 12:25:43 AM »
Adding information here from a May 68 built C code from Metuchen.  If I am reading the build sheet correctly it reads:
Dark Green, Lavender, White

2023-10-16_20-17-52 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

This matches what I have here in my shop on a June 68 built C code from San Jose.

2023-10-16_20-22-32 by Marcus Anghel, on Flickr

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 12:31:55 AM »
Adding information here from a May 68 built C code from Metuchen.  If I am reading the build sheet correctly it reads:
Dark Green, Lavender, White

Yes that would be the correct decoding.
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2023, 12:41:37 AM »
Both previous posts show a dark red color on the driveshaft yokes (front and rear) . I have not seen this before- can you tell me why you used that color?  I added small orange markings on the rear of my 1968 Mustang driveshaft (428 engine with a 9 inch axle) as I was told that Ford used the driveshaft color code at the rear to match that color on the axle yoke.

Never heard that and original examples that I've seen over the 40 plus years have not shown that. The color on the yokes helped the worker making the driveline identify the yoke size and type so if you have a different drive shaft with a different size yoke you would not have the orange coloring. Also when the yoke was welded to the tube it would burn the paint along the weld area. Haven't seen orange on small block drive shaft yokes

Some examples from 68 big block applications. Paint exposed (like the stripes) didn't hold up well to the elements and usage  ::)

According to Ford documents , a TSB, in late 65 production they painted indicators on the yokes so that the driveshaft when removed could be reinstalled back as it was originally. TSB # #416 dated Sept. 17, 1965 if anyone is interested

lightwtjet - Is the car in the picture yours? It appears that the shield washer is missing between the yoke and the third member as sown in the original examples from 68 9 inch rearends below

Jeff Speegle

Offline lightwtjet

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 10:47:28 PM »
Thanks for the pictures showing large amounts of orange paint on the rear of the driveshaft on big block applications. My driveshaft only had a small indication of orange left. That is my axle but is not the original axle- My car had a 4.30 ratio axle installed by Ford, and I found that ratio incompatible with driving to car shows. The axle I installed had a damaged yoke. I went to a known quality axle builder to purchase a new yoke. When the yoke  arrived it did not have a slinger(shield washer) much to my dismay. Something others can avoid possibly. I added the orange to the axle yoke as I have seen on two websites -links are below.

https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-driveshaft

(Perkins car)
1968 CJ - Owner and paint original. Dec 67 build in Dearborn. One of 50 135 Cobra Jets. Ford engineering used it for 8 mos. to resolve problems in the 50 early car build. Ford by-passed the normal sign off to get cars to the Winternationals drag race.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2023, 12:32:01 AM »
............. I added the orange to the axle yoke as I have seen on two websites -links are below.

As always - your car and your choice. I tend to lean towards unrestored original examples from the same year, plant and options  :)
Jeff Speegle