Author Topic: 1966 GT Convertible automatic NJ car driveshaft and rear end markings  (Read 1841 times)

Offline pknoerl59

I searched on here and have tried to research elsewhere correct markings for my drive shaft and differential with no luck.none were found on it prior to restoration

anyone have details or pics of markings on a 1966 GT convertible automatic 289 4V ? driveshaft, rear differential , etc..

Thanks,

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Are you planing on showing in MCA concours?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
are all the other details exactly correct? they should be prior to marking. markings not present will not cost points but if incorrect will be a deduction. please do not guess at them.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 GT Convertible automatic NJ car driveshaft and rear end markings
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 12:49:12 AM »
I searched on here and have tried to research elsewhere correct markings for my drive shaft and differential with no luck.none were found on it prior to restoration

anyone have details or pics of markings on a 1966 GT convertible automatic 289 4V ? driveshaft, rear differential , etc..

Thanks,

Where the car was built is not a controlling factor in the marks since the rearends were all built and assembled at Sterling no matter what plant the car was built so the vast majority of the markings will be the same . If showing most classes don't require markings but will deduct for incorrect ones but understand that its not all about rules or judging when it comes to restoring. Judging and trophies are a result or reward for doing the restoration correctly :)  Also A and C code drive lines would be the same as long as it is the same transmission.

As mentioned we often ask owners/builders to make sure all of the other details are correct before you move on to the last details like markings especially since original markings often look very out of place and draw attention to things that are not correct. Examples drive lines with the wrong weights or painted "natural"  ::) finishes.

Lastly has you tried the search feature? I found a number of threads on the drive lines for 66 C codes. There is also a related thread on the stenciled numbers found on some of the drive lines also you will want to read. Try and sort through the findings using "driveline markings"  Also "drive shaft markings" turned up another

In another thread on rearend markings members offered and showed pictures of marking from a V8 66 8" rearend just need to find it. It included a series of pictures of a 66 8" third member and markings.. Not as many as other applications and types but still some. Basically two sets of numbers and the "8" for the third member
« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 01:12:15 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2023, 05:19:26 PM »

Can I get a particle VIN or the scheduled build date from the door tag so we're looking at others from the same time period?
Jeff Speegle

Offline pknoerl59

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 09:40:58 AM »
Yes show at MCA. Am Concours Gold currently.

Offline pknoerl59

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 09:44:23 AM »
Car VIN is 6T08A248694
76A T 25 12D 16 1 6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 08:42:26 PM »
Car VIN is 6T08A248694
76A T 25 12D 16 1 6

Thanks. From unrestored examples (all happen to be NJ also) from earlier in the production year.  Has and shows the expected, usual markings we've seen on others Basically the bottom DS "8" The top and passenger side assembler or inspector numbers. Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle