Author Topic: Interior Quarter Trim Screws  (Read 4723 times)

Offline alanmac

Re: Interior Quarter Trim Screws
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2023, 01:26:13 PM »
Updated! I came to the conclusion that many of my interior screws were not correct. I fixed the fiberglass interior trim screw holes where needed.  Painted the trim pieces with the correct paint from NPD.  I installed the correct AMK fastener kit.  I wouldn't have noticed the flaws without this tread bringing it to my attention.  Thanks for all the information. Alan   
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 04:14:44 PM by alanmac »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
1 of 186 with these paint/trim codes
Build Date: October 7, 1969
0T1190xx
Dealer: Maguires Garage Inc. Duncannon PA

Offline hopey

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2023, 09:53:44 AM »
Attached is a picture of the screws on my Metuchen built car.  The upper screw is a Philips pan head screw zinc plated.  The hole on the upper screw is worn from removal but the drivers side is clearly not countersunk. The lower countersunk screw is per the assembly drawing.  Alan

The S9 zinc finish is what I have observed, but my enquiry was regarding the S2 finish on dark interiors. Has anyone observed this from any plant on unrestored examples?
1970 BOSS 302
Built 11/15/69 Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2023, 05:54:00 PM »
The S9 zinc finish is what I have observed, but my enquiry was regarding the S2 finish on dark interiors. Has anyone observed this from any plant on unrestored examples?

Looking at the pictures I have of 70's from all plants and across the year while trying to focus more on the black interior cars, did not find any examples that support a P 7 O finish used on the 70 interior trim panel retaining screws on Mustangs
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline hopey

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2023, 07:10:54 PM »
Looking at the pictures I have of 70's from all plants and across the year while trying to focus more on the black interior cars, did not find any examples that support a P 7 O finish used on the 70 interior trim panel retaining screws on Mustangs

Jeff, thanks for looking.
1970 BOSS 302
Built 11/15/69 Dearborn

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2023, 07:59:18 PM »
Let me be the devils' advocate.
If a 70 Mustang Sportsroof, or Mach I, with a dark interior, showed up at a MCA judged car show, with the referenced screws having a phosphate and oil treatment, as noted in the 1970 Mustang Interior Assembly Manual, what would you do? Do you have documentation to the contrary? How about the Thoroughbred class? 
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline hopey

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2023, 08:09:43 PM »
Let me be the devils' advocate.
If a 70 Mustang Sportsroof, or Mach I, with a dark interior, showed up at a MCA judged car show, with the referenced screws having a phosphate and oil treatment, as noted in the 1970 Mustang Interior Assembly Manual, what would you do? Do you have documentation to the contrary? How about the Thoroughbred class? 
Jim

Depends if it was a fixed or sports deck rear seat going by the generally available published assembly drawings Jim 😜

Seriously though that is part of the reason I am researching this. A friend of mine had a points deduction in concours trailered for having S2 P&O finish screws on a January 1970 Dearborn built Boss 302 with dark Ivy interior.
1970 BOSS 302
Built 11/15/69 Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2023, 10:33:34 PM »
Thought I would post some examples I found on unrestored cars with back interiors from 70 production. From approx 0F12xxxx-0F19xxxx

Since Hopey brought up Jan 70 green interiors will look and post similar cars to try and help that specific focus. Going to be the same though
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2023, 12:31:03 AM »
70 Green interior examples. As close as I currently have

Early Dearborn car. Likely built around Mid Sept 69

Nov 17th NJ built car.

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2023, 12:58:40 AM »
The question still remains. Where is the documentation authorizing the substitution of -S9 screws for -S2 screws?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline hopey

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2023, 07:33:59 PM »
The question still remains. Where is the documentation authorizing the substitution of -S9 screws for -S2 screws?
Jim

Jim,
The 11/14/69 revision of the assembly manual dwg # TO-525 (attached again) is the only reference I have found to S2 finish screws being used on dark interiors, supported of course by the availability of said same reproduction fastener kit from AMK.

However from the photographic evidence Jeff has kindly provided it seems that originals were exclusively S9 - with no S2 production fasteners documented so far.

Jeff,
Thanks for checking.
1970 BOSS 302
Built 11/15/69 Dearborn

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2023, 08:00:20 PM »
The 11/14/69 revision of the assembly manual dwg # TO-525 (attached again) is the only reference I have found to S2 finish screws being used on dark interiors, supported of course by the availability of said same reproduction fastener kit from AMK.
However from the photographic evidence Jeff has kindly provided it seems that originals were exclusively S9 - with no S2 production fasteners documented so far.
One. More Time.
If you submit a 70 Mustang, with a dark interior option and all the other "things", to be judged in the Thoroughbred class, with -S2 finish instead of the -S9, and it is rejected - what are the justifications? It there a TSB? Do you have a copy of an assembly line waiver?
I am posing a deep, dark quandary. Are "pictures" enough? Should this "quirk" be spelled out in MCA rules?
Jim