Author Topic: Glue in window repair HELP!!  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
Glue in window repair HELP!!
« on: May 22, 2023, 09:44:34 AM »
 So,, the  first time i've encounter glue in windows with my son's Mach I. I followed the exact procedures as the West Coast Cougar's Youtube video on removing the old brackets, cleaning then scuffing the glass for better adhesion, then bought the 3m adhesive - following the directions to the "T" and let the windows set up for DAYS! Installed in the car over a year ago and just yesterday noticed that the back vertical chrome trim piece was now hitting the upper roof rail (metal) when closing the doors. Luckily I am still working on new door panels and haven't closed up the doors completely. I found that when you roll the window up and give any extra pull to make sure its up tight, (and mind you nothing out of the ordinary, I have done this on every Mustang I have to make sure the window is up well) that the "X" scissors mechanism that moves the window up has forced the rear bracket/glass to separate!!!!! The back stop on the rear bracket is holding the bracket in place but the scissors mechanism is pushing up on the front of the bracket which has now moved the rear of the glass out of the bracket. This has occurred on both sides. the other pieces of glass seem to be fine. It has pulled the glass out cleanly, to where I can place move material in the channel and reset but now hesitant to use 3M again.. You can even see the scuffing intact on the bottom edge of the glass. Pretty let down at this point. The old silicon someone globbed in the channels was holding better, poo poo on me for trying to do this correctly? LOL
Any help hear would be greatly appreciated as I need a fix ASAP as we are ready to close up the doors for the cars initial road test. thoughts??

Thanks for a reply.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 11:36:31 AM by Hipo giddyup »
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline Hipo giddyup

Re: Glue in window repair HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 09:33:06 AM »
 I spoke with a windshield guy who said to use the urethane they use to "glue in" the windshields. He seems to think the epoxy from 3M gets hard and brittle and could be the reason it failed. Also, he said to look for a set of 70' bolt in windows so that is a second option if the urethane doesn't work, but will definitely like to use/keep the original glass if possible..  :'(
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 06:02:35 PM »
Last time I did the tracks on a 69 I also used a urethane product. Can't recall which but they had been repaired before with silicon. Silicon likely lasted a decade but not for the long haul

Just have to make sure the track is located in the right spot so that arms/mechanisms don't work as designed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 02:14:47 AM »
Ive used the 3M Windo-Weld product and have not had any issues....not sure if thats what you are using? 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 11:45:00 AM »
I've done exactly one set. I removed maybe 3 - 4 kinds of failed adhesives. Installed them with this product.

https://skygeek.com/dow-corning-rtv3145-clear-adhesive-3oz.html

The were still holding 10 years later. I lost track of the car long ago so they might still be holding.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Hipo giddyup

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2023, 04:00:50 PM »
Thanks everyone for chiming in. I will use the urethane as described and hopefully this time works.  Wish us luck  ;D

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 11:32:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for chiming in. I will use the urethane as described and hopefully this time works.  Wish us luck  ;D

Good luck. Hope it holds and last a long time
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2023, 10:41:14 AM »
The black windshield urethane adhesive is as strong as superman's knee cap.  However, as mentioned earlier if you use 70 bolt in it gives you the option of taking out glass easier if you need to for any reason.  I'm sure it went to bolt in for the exact reason your facing and to allow installation and adjustment ease.  Yes its not correct for a 69 guy only you will know.

Just my two cents.
Dan

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2023, 12:24:00 PM »
The black windshield urethane adhesive is as strong as superman's knee cap.  However, as mentioned earlier if you use 70 bolt in it gives you the option of taking out glass easier if you need to for any reason.  I'm sure it went to bolt in for the exact reason your facing and to allow installation and adjustment ease.  Yes its not correct for a 69 guy only you will know.

Just my two cents.
Dan
Not debating which is better but just stating that others who know the difference can tell which is which on a fastback. On convertible there is a much bigger difference because you have to change out the rear quarter glass too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2023, 02:33:40 PM »
Oops, sorry, yes Bob is correct, I should of stated correctly, "only you and any judges will probably know".  If going concours, take Bob's and Jeff's advice.  Mine is rookie opinion only.   :)

Dan

Offline Hipo giddyup

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 12:46:01 PM »
 Thanks for the input guys!! I was able to get the urethane down into the ends of the channel and along the window portion that had pulled up and away from the frames. All done without removing the windows.  I then squeezed the bracket and glass back together, and smeared more urethan along the top edge of the bracket for added strength. I let it cure over night and tried it the following evening. So far it is working very good and seems like it did the trick. I wish I would've just used urethane in the first place instead of the 3M channel stuff. Live and learn I guess. Hopefully this will hold out, and if not, then we will need to look for the bolt in glass for a fastback.  ;D

Thanks again!