Author Topic: Radiator Support Seal Staples  (Read 1391 times)

Offline warp1

Radiator Support Seal Staples
« on: August 06, 2023, 03:03:01 PM »
I have a question about the staples used on the Mustangs radiator support seal. I was at a car show this weekend, and half the Mustangs I saw had the radiator support seal installed with flat steel staples, like what would be used in a normal office stapler. The other half of the Mustangs used a staple with a round body. I have found the part number for the correct staple should be a 370165-S10, but I am unable to find a picture or information for that part number. I have a seal that I want to install on a '66 Mustang, but wanted to know which type of staple was originally used on the Mustangs. Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 04:00:04 PM by warp1 »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Radiator Support Seal Staples
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 04:05:04 PM »
I have a question about the staples used on the Mustangs radiator support seal. I was at a car show this weekend, and half the Mustangs I saw had the radiator support seal installed with flat steel staples, like what would be used in a normal office stapler. The other half of the Mustangs used a staple with a round body. I have found the part number for the correct staple should be a 370165-S10, but I am unable to find a picture or information for that part number. I have a seal that I want to install on a '66 Mustang, but wanted to know which type of staple would be correct.
At least most were round stock based on only seeing round over the years on survivor type cars. I have not seen the square stock like you described so if it was used it must be in the minority. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 05:04:26 PM »
I have a question about the staples used on the Mustangs radiator support seal. I was at a car show this weekend, and half the Mustangs I saw had the radiator support seal installed with flat steel staples, like what would be used in a normal office stapler. The other half of the Mustangs used a staple with a round body. I have found the part number for the correct staple should be a 370165-S10, but I am unable to find a picture or information for that part number. I have a seal that I want to install on a '66 Mustang, but wanted to know which type of staple was originally used on the Mustangs. Thanks.
First, welcome. In order to determine an answer we need to know several important items about your car, like model year, model type, engine, assembly plant, even the build date. Another important item is where did you get the information in your question. The only staple I've found is 370168-S10 - note the slightly different Ford part number.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 05:15:35 PM »
did your car originally have them? if so are the holes present? i would not add them if not original as that is the focus of this forum.........welcome aboard!
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 06:39:22 PM »
I have a seal that I want to install on a '66 Mustang, but wanted to know which type of staple was originally used on the Mustangs.
The only model of 66 Mustang to get a seal was with the 200 I-6 engine.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 06:51:35 PM »
First - Welcome to the site. Hope you find the information and support your looking for while restoring your car.

Agree with others that I've not seen anything other than industrial round style staples used for this purpose no matter what year or plant though it is really advisable to include when and where your car your asking details about is included in the question. If not your going to get asked for it just about every time :)  Its suggested, especially if your only doing one car to include it in your signature so that you don't have to type it every time.

Originals

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline warp1

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 08:52:54 PM »
The staple part number 370165-S10 is given in the 1965-72 Ford Master Parts catalog for use with the radiator support seal. I have also seen that same number in an assembly drawing. The staple part number 370168-S10 isn't mentioned for that seal in either reference, so I would assume maybe it has a difference in diameter or dimensions. But from the responses given, it appears as though the radiator support seal would be a round staple rather than the flat type. And I would guess the diameter would need to be less than 1/16". Thanks.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2023, 12:18:03 AM »
The staple part number 370165-S10 is given in the 1965-72 Ford Master Parts catalog for use with the radiator support seal. I have also seen that same number in an assembly drawing. The staple part number 370168-S10 isn't mentioned for that seal in either reference, so I would assume maybe it has a difference in diameter or dimensions. But from the responses given, it appears as though the radiator support seal would be a round staple rather than the flat type. And I would guess the diameter would need to be less than 1/16". Thanks.
I think NPD sells or at least used to a staple for that purpose.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 12:51:15 PM »
You could go to this Forum's library, look up topic "Mustang Hardware Spreadsheet - (pick a year)", call up the spreadsheet by part number and look up hardware part number 370168-S10. You will find dimensions I measured from a couple of Mustangs, and see the source references listed on the right hand side.
I have two versions of "Ford Car Parts" (aka MPC), the 68 and 75 editions, and neither have a part number listed for the staple, in the illustration section or in the text, in conjunction with Ford base number 16A238, the seal.
Jim