Author Topic: Correct Spare Tire non-space saver  (Read 1001 times)

Offline BHStang

Correct Spare Tire non-space saver
« on: May 31, 2022, 02:19:25 PM »
Should the spare tire on a non-space saver spare car (June of 70 DAP built H code Mach 1) be the same tire as the mains were optioned with (if different) or the standard tire?  In my case a 2v 351 Mach 1 the standard tire was the E70x14 BSW but my car was ordered with the optional F70x14 RWL.  So should my spare match or be the standard E70?
1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close
AC, PS, Power disk, Shaker, Rear Spoiler

Offline BHStang

Re: Correct Spare Tire non-space saver
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 05:24:01 PM »
So I am going to follow up with my thoughts.  I am using optional 5 slot styled steel rims, and the factory assembly manual clearly shows a styled steel rim being used for the spare as an option with protective pad and different stacking order of the jack vs a standard steel rim.  So I consider:

1. The spare rim is going to match the same as the 4 mounted rims (space saver option excluded).  The assembly manual is suggestive of this being the practice.
2. If all 5 rims are the same all 5 tires are likely the same too.

If the spare was a standard rim vs styled I could believe an argument for the standard tire vs upgraded optional F70 RWL.
1970 Mach 1
H Code 351C 2v
DAP June 10, 1970
4 Speed Close
AC, PS, Power disk, Shaker, Rear Spoiler

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 06:12:20 PM »
So I am going to follow up with my thoughts.  I am using optional 5 slot styled steel rims, and the factory assembly manual clearly shows a styled steel rim being used for the spare as an option with protective pad and different stacking order of the jack vs a standard steel rim.  So I consider:

1. The spare rim is going to match the same as the 4 mounted rims (space saver option excluded).  The assembly manual is suggestive of this being the practice.
2. If all 5 rims are the same all 5 tires are likely the same too.

+1 That is what I've found on unrestored cars that were not altered or "upgraded" at the dealership
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Atindell

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 03:20:40 PM »
So I have a Boss 302 that I'm restoring and received a space saver spare.  Would love to use it, but also plan on getting the car judged.  I am assuming that if my car had it I would see it in the build sheet.  Since it wasn't then I would be counted off for having a space saver spare?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 03:43:34 PM »
So I have a Boss 302 that I'm restoring and received a space saver spare.  Would love to use it, but also plan on getting the car judged.  I am assuming that if my car had it I would see it in the build sheet.  Since it wasn't then I would be counted off for having a space saver spare?
Your Boss 302 came with F 60 15 tires from the factory .  A F 60 15 tire and wheel will not fit in the space for the tire in the trunk. That is why they came with the space saver unlike other cars that had smaller 14 inch wheel and tires that it was a option on. If you are going to show the car in concours expect a deduction if the space saver and all of the related equipment that comes with space saver usage is not present.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Atindell

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 07:52:35 PM »
Thank you...