Author Topic: 67 Mustang Fastback 289 C4 Transmission Questions  (Read 904 times)

Offline 67FBM

67 Mustang Fastback 289 C4 Transmission Questions
« on: February 09, 2023, 10:03:39 AM »
Does anyone know the correct C4 transmission casting codes and servo codes and type for an early 67 Mustang Fastback 289 4v non-hipo with floor shifty automatic? Transmission would have a date code of around October to November 1966 to be period correct. Thanks
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 07:03:12 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 Mustang Fastback
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 04:16:23 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you'll find the site useful for your concours related subjects. If you wonder why your post got moved I offer the following. We ask that threads get posted to the individual year sections when the question relates to one specific year. The general area (Bodywork, Drivetrain, Interior and others) are used when the question spans across multiple years and applications.

For you transmission I see servo covers with the letter "A" on other examples with a engineering number of C6AP-7D027-C
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 07:05:32 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 04:45:35 PM »
Although the MPC calls for a different trans number the regular Mustang A servo C4 doesn't seem to perform differently then the supposed Hipo C4 A servo trans in the 67 model year.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 09:23:01 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 Mustang Fastback 289 C4 Transmission Questions
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 07:13:49 PM »
Picture of the servo covers and ID tag. As you can see there were at least two versions of the servo cover used Engineering number either horizontal or vertical. IMHO the horizontal was more often seen/typical on Mustang applications. Must have just been a supplier thing

These appear to be date coded inside the round depression with month and year. From top left to top right then bottom  Feb 67 (E on ID tag) - Nov 66 (L on ID tag)- Feb 67 (C on ID tag) for those following that sort of detail  :)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 07:18:31 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 07:22:36 PM »
There was no HiPo Mustang specific auto trans for the 67 model year.
According to "The 289 High Performance Mustang" (by Tony Gregory) and the 1968 edition of "Ford Car Parts" (aka MPC) there is. Ref ID tag "PEE-K".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 07:40:58 PM »
According to "The 289 High Performance Mustang" (by Tony Gregory) and the 1968 edition of "Ford Car Parts" (aka MPC) there is. Ref ID tag "PEE-K".
Jim

Maybe Bob meant that the servo cover was the same as non-Hipo C4's.  Agreed the complete transmission carries a different ID code and internal pieces when you compare the two but back to the OP's focus
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 08:33:53 PM »
Maybe Bob meant that the servo cover was the same as non-Hipo C4's.  Agreed the complete transmission carries a different ID code and internal pieces when you compare the two but back to the OP's focus
Yes a generic non Hipo A servo and cover. I am not sure the difference in other internal parts but do not think there is a significant difference based on performance . 67 Shelby C4 downshifts different but that is a function of shifter in that case and not transmission. .
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 08:38:55 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 08:44:57 PM »
There are other examples of what the MPC calls for as different like the trans but no apparent difference in performance compared to regular Mustang HiPo or otherwise. 67 Shelby specific Power Steering pump , A/C compressor and front disc brake calipers are a few examples.   

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 08:54:16 PM »
There was no HiPo Mustang specific auto trans for the 67 model year.
There are other examples of what the MPC calls for as different like the trans but no apparent difference in performance compared to regular Mustang HiPo or otherwise.
You said no "specific" for 67. I see "differences in internals" and a special Ford tag, PEE-K. That would qualify as a specific 67 C4 for 289 HP. Performance was not mentioned.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 09:18:55 PM »
You said no "specific" for 67. I see "differences in internals" and a special Ford tag, PEE-K. That would qualify as a specific 67 C4 for 289 HP. Performance was not mentioned.
Jim
Snarky remarks are the normal for you Jim. It must help you feel superior.  In this case I should have qualified my answer. I will amend my post . Bob

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 01:32:46 AM »
Snarky remarks are the normal for you Jim. It must help you feel superior.  In this case I should have qualified my answer. I will amend my post . Bob
Snarky? Thank you. I present documented information from two sources, contrary to a statement you made, and you get upset. If you disagree with what is stated in a book (or two), write a book (or two) with your corrections.
Jim