Author Topic: Correct Battery  (Read 6597 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Correct Battery
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2018, 07:39:49 PM »
Quote from: Bob Gaines on Today at 02:37:07 AM
I think that is one of the more common color of stamps I see on 65 and 66 's on the show field.
The orange 42A stamp is the most common I've seen on restored cars.[/color]
Charles ,no doubt unintentional but when you edited my quote you can change the context as it may appear to others reading . The post you edited started reading -" There are sure a lot of wrong installations out there. I think that is one of the more common color of stamps I see on 65 and 66 's on the show field." Without including the first part like you did in your post you change the context . We were talking about the red 55 amp stamps which would need to be changed if wanting to be historically correct on a 65/66.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2018, 09:06:00 PM »
Quote from: Bob Gaines on Today at 02:37:07 AM
I think that is one of the more common color of stamps I see on 65 and 66 's on the show field.Charles ,no doubt unintentional but when you edited my quote you can change the context as it may appear to others reading . The post you edited started reading -" There are sure a lot of wrong installations out there. I think that is one of the more common color of stamps I see on 65 and 66 's on the show field." Without including the first part like you did in your post you change the context . We were talking about the red 55 amp stamps which would need to be changed if wanting to be historically correct on a 65/66.

I interpreted that as you were saying that there were wrong 55A installations 'out there', which you see on 65-66 show cars.

I don't recall ever seeing a restored 65/66 with a red 55A alternator stamp.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline rrenz

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2019, 01:10:06 PM »
Still trying to make a decision on this one as to which look ill go for. Either a red cap topper on the correct size battery or the yellow cap topper on an incorrect size battery but with a correct look. While looking at my build sheet I have a 1 under the battery category. Would this indicate the base 22f battery?
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2019, 02:17:47 PM »
Unless you have a 22F size battery, the yellow caps should not be used.

1 on the build sheet would mean Heavy Duty batter for 65-66 (not sure on other years).  Blank would mean standard battery (22F)
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2019, 12:01:07 AM »
Unless you have a 22F size battery, the yellow caps should not be used.

1 on the build sheet would mean Heavy Duty batter for 65-66 (not sure on other years).  Blank would mean standard battery (22F)
+1 . I have only seen the heavy duty batteries in the case of a 65,66 or 67 as a 24F with red caps. Of course the top would like the typical 65-67 but just with the different color caps.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline evantugby

Group 24 batteries
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2023, 01:40:00 PM »
This battery was recently pulled from a 1966 mustang. 

Can anyone here determine if this is an original autolite battery or a reproduction? 

Note:  the 24R indicates its a reverse polarity, however this should mean the positive terminal should be on the right side.  I believe all first gen mustangs used 24F batteries, not 24R.  So if original, what car would have used a 24R, if not the mustang? 

Thoughts?

1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Group 24 batteries
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2023, 03:57:13 PM »
Reverse post applications were typically on MOPAR's given the battery was typically on the driver side.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2023, 04:02:52 PM »
The picture shows a group 24 reproduction battery. It may have been pulled from a 66 Mustang but that is not the style that would have come in one from the factory.The battery is the typical repro Autolite battery copied after the 68 up version. The battery is not a reverse post battery. Many of the repro batteries came with the 24R on the sticker. The 9AA date code was copied also which is seen on this sticker. I doubt the mfg had any idea of what he was coping when he did. FYI the repro Autolite batteries have been MFG in various forms for over 30 years now so don't be fooled . Genuine assemblyline batteries typically have added date codes heat stamped into the topside of the case. They also have date codes cast into the mold of the bottom side of the case. Repros will many times have the repro MFG mark on the bottom side of the case.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2023, 04:15:17 PM »
This battery was recently pulled from a 1966 mustang. 

Can anyone here determine if this is an original autolite battery or a reproduction? 

Note:  the 24R indicates its a reverse polarity, however this should mean the positive terminal should be on the right side.  I believe all first gen mustangs used 24F batteries, not 24R.  So if original, what car would have used a 24R, if not the mustang? 

Thoughts?

Only as a side point not all first generation Mustangs received a 24F in fact I would think that most didn't but instead the 22F

And for dating early battery's for 66-67 for example had a casting date in the main case on the bottom

Going to separate and move today's post to the appropriate thread since this one is about a new reproduction :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 04:18:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)