Author Topic: Question: 1970 Mustang original Front Seat Belt mounting hardware  (Read 586 times)

Offline Shelby1966

1970 Mustang Mach 1
Cobra Jet 4 speed
New Jersey Built
10 Sep 69

Which is correct as assembled at the factory
Front Seat Belt mounting hardware
I have zinc dichromate color and phosphate red color on my large metal washers with the 2 neoprene washers.
AMK and NPD only sell silver in color metal washers in there concours mounting kit for Front seat belts.

So which is the correct color for the large metal washer
Zinc Dichromate
Phosphate Red
Silver

See attached pic

Please advise
TY
Rick Poling

Offline Shelby1966

Re: Question: 1970 Mustang original Front Seat Belt mounting hardware
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 05:37:25 PM »
A little help here, 🙏

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 08:59:01 PM »
Looked through a bunch of pictures and as one would guess, not many people take pictures of those details and share them. But this is a good reminder for everyone to take allot more pictures than you think you will need and of everything.

Best I could offer currently is from a later Dearborn example shown below

Hope it helps in some way . At least is shows the order of things and other details like the sealant

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Shelby1966

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 10:32:33 PM »
Jeff

TY for your research, time, effort and pics.

Just to be more complete in this issue my back seat seat belt metal washers(which are much smaller) are most definitely red oxide but the front seat belt mounting metal washers are most definitely not red oxide.  I?m surprised that AMK and NPD sell a concourse part that should not be a silver finish.   Not sure yet of exact finish of the color yet in regards to the front seat belt mounting washers,,, so many variables(possibly).

You may know of someone that has access and technical knowledge in ford bolt and washer finishes that you could refer me too.

Please advise if possible.

Ty

Rick Poling

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 10:59:12 PM »
These appear to be like other safety red items used since 1968 in production where it was a red dye over the plating under that dye. Have some pictures of rear but as you mention the washer are smaller but in the pictures I have the red is not visible May not have lasted due to conditions, a typical issue where sometimes the dye is only found in the threads or other protected areas from the elements or conditions.

As for tech or additional help, most hardware carry a identifier that list the original finish of the item as discussed in other threads. Can't recall for the moment the letter that identifies the red safety dye but I believe it has been posted and the list of finishes and codes has been also on this site. Just going to take a little searching

The listings for the numbering is in the Library under hardware so you will need to look for the exploded view of the assembly, find the base number of the washer(s) then look those up in the printed list of hardware and that often provides the original full number for the item with the finish. Of course this can sometime be different from what was provided for at every plant through the whole production year but its a place to start as well as a reason for why you choose a finish lacking any real documentation of what your particular car had originally
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 11:02:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 11:03:44 PM »
S100 ?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 12:14:36 AM »
Had a 1974 version handy. Not specific for red dye but will help others with other finishes

Jeff Speegle

Offline Shelby1966

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 11:08:49 AM »
Bob and Jeff

Now that's some technical data to chew over, ty
Its all in the fine details.

Here are pics of my rear seat belt mounting bolts and washers for your use in the quest of historical research.

Again brazo Zulu

Rick Poling