Author Topic: 1970 Fixed Steering Column Upper and Lower extension alignment  (Read 515 times)

Offline Angela

Could someone kindly help me understand how the cast upper and lower column extensions are supposed to align?
There's a "dimple" in one piece which I assume is supposed to aid assembly???
There's a "fork" cast into one piece which I assume is intended to captivate some feature in the other half, yet it's unclear to me what.
Help would be appreciated. Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 02:17:33 PM by Angela »

Offline RocketScientist

Re: 1970 Fixed Steering Column Upper and Lower extension alignment
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 05:32:46 AM »
There is a dimple in both pieces and try lining them up.
Brad

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 10:54:17 AM »
Thanks Brad. While there is a hole in one piece and a dimple in the 2nd piece, I do *not* find dimples in *both* pieces.  I have two sets of original pieces and in both sets, only the top cast piece has a dimple. If you have examples showing otherwise, could you post am image?
Thanks.

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 09:37:35 PM »
You are quite right on the dimples and I feel a bit foolish as what I thought to be alignment marks turns out to be a trick of the light! It was only when I really expanded the pic that I realized that the spot was on the join between the parts and not on the parts themselves.  In a poor way of consolation here is a pic of my column and I hope it gives help as to how it goes together. If you are still having problems I used the outer tube as a reference to mount the collar.
Brad

Offline Angela

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 08:49:50 AM »
Thanks Brad, I feel a littler better knowing that there indeed are not two dimples I should be seeing.

I'm still uncertain how the upper two pieces are supposed to mate. That said, I have been able to install them onto the outer shaft and find that when I do so, there is a "rotational relationship" between turning the ignition lock and the position of the lower collar. Put another way, it appears to me that the lower collar rotates and provides a mechanical stop which the steering lock mechanism engages when the key is turned to the off position. I guess I'd previously never noticed the lower collar rotating during normal use. Do I have this correct?

Also, I posted this elsewhere yet perhaps you know the answer?
I've read that the two-piece collapsible steering shafts are fixed in length by two plastic pins. However, when I look at mine I do *not* find holes in either hollow or solid pieces of the shaft.

I see the heads of two original pins on the outside of the hollow portion of the two-piece shaft. However this is supposed to work, it's no longer working on my part, because I can separate the two pieces.

Questions:
(1) Are the plastic pins supposed to pass all the way through both hollow and solid shafts?
(2) How does one repair this such that the shaft cannot be pulled apart? Is there a source for appropriately sized plastic pins?

Thanks!

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 09:45:39 PM »
Yes, I found that the collar rotates as part of the reverse lock-out mechanism and I found it a bit odd until it was assembled in the car.  As you begin installing the rest of the ignition system (locks, plugs, cables etc.) it begins to make a bit more sense.

Sorry, I can't help you much on the steering shaft and I have never seen anything for a suitable repair. I was told once that some people just reset (re-extended) a collapsed steering shaft, which means they neglected to replace the pins but your sounds like the assembly is fairly loose and needs to be secured in place. All I can offer is good luck.
Brad