Author Topic: Wanted 6CDF-10300-A Alternator for 68 V8 with PS  (Read 394 times)

Offline dkknab

Wanted 6CDF-10300-A Alternator for 68 V8 with PS
« on: April 18, 2022, 10:27:42 PM »
Wanted a concours correct alternator for my 68 Sprint B with V8 and PS.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Wanted 6CDF-10300-A Alternator for 68 V8 with PS
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 12:17:10 AM »
Wanted a concours correct alternator for my 68 Sprint B with V8 and PS.
Are you wanting one that is concours correct for occasionally driven, trailered or thoroughbred concours? There are different expectations depending on the class you are in. If wanting one that is concours correct for occasionally driven which if I remember correctly is the class you are entering in or even trailered concours the alternator first and foremost besides looking fresh new needs to have the correct front and back case and proper colored coated stator windings. Technically it doesn't have to have the correct ink stamp for the application. It needs to have a appropriately colored ink stamp but the numbers do not have to correlate with application like they would in Thoroughbred. MCA does not check date codes and stamps for correct application unless in thoroughbred. They do check to see if "A" proper looking stamp is there in the other class's however. Of course if you do have a alternator with the purple stamp (38amp) with the correct engineering number like Dead nuts on sells then it is just icing on the cake. You will not get extra points. FYI all of the restored to look original alternators put out 55 amps but have stamps made to look like the other various outputs. It doesn't matter because the 55 amp will work on all. Only dead nuts on will have one that is stamped  C6DF-10300-A  in purple I expect. The other offerings will most likely only have the more commonly desired engineering numbers on the alternators they sell in the more common red and orange stamps. If your wanting the icing on the cake version then you can't do much better then Dead Nuts On. If your wanting a occasional driven or trailered concours correct looking alternator for your application that costs less then the 250.00 ebay ones then I know a guy. PM me if interested. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 12:29:13 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dkknab

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 09:03:36 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm wanting to continue to be in the Concours Driven class as I was in Florence.  That being said I'll PM you Bob to see what could work in my case.

Also here's the ebay item that I found I mentioned previously.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265551139534
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 12:49:52 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm wanting to continue to be in the Concours Driven class as I was in Florence.  That being said I'll PM you Bob to see what could work in my case.

Also here's the ebay item that I found I mentioned previously.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265551139534
That one looks to be a good deal compared to others and will satisfy concours expectations plus it includes a regulator. The regulator could be subject to points deducted however because it is cheaper repro version with the wrong shape plug cutout opening. There are better repros available.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dkknab

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 01:47:49 PM »
Good catch. Plus the blue top is screwed to the base instead of being riveted. I'm guessing the rivets is more correct.
David Knab

289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 02:22:00 PM »
Good catch. Plus the blue top is screwed to the base instead of being riveted. I'm guessing the rivets is more correct.
The rivets were used when the change from the C5 to the C8 engineering number stamp for the 68 model year.