Author Topic: Inspections Markings 65 K Code  (Read 640 times)

Offline Kcode65

Inspections Markings 65 K Code
« on: March 07, 2022, 11:09:21 AM »
Ok. My first post, so please don't destroy me up as I'm sure this has been addressed in the past. I searched and can't seem to find definitive answers ?. so I'll make a fresh post to see if I can get all the info I need in one sitting.

I have a freshly completed / restored 1965 K Code Fastback. It's a Metuchen car built on April 25, 1965, Wimbledon white, 4 spd with 4.11 rears.

Can anyone help me with the placement and colors of all / most of the inspection markings?

Thank you in advance.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Inspections Markings 65 K Code
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 11:27:30 AM »
welcome to the site. let's see some pics of the areas you plan to 'mark'. i have to ask....are all your details absolutely correct?? please make sure of this before adding the marks. did you discover any markings upon disassembly? your car is/was the best resource for those.
5F09C331248

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 11:58:57 AM »
All or most of the inspection markings...

This topic comes up weekly. Each car had literally hundreds of markings. If your intent is to show the car, these items would need to be addressed and applied as the car was restored. The markings change based on options, assembly plant and build date.

You seem to have a rare combination of drivetrain components. Its not a good idea to copy markings - just to have them. If you plan on having the car judged, judges look very negatively on incorrectly applied markings.

In my opinion, its unlikely someones going to take the hours needed to assist you and do all the research for free, but good luck in your endeavor.

I agree getting all the other details correct is more important. As is documentation for the car. As a former judge, the nice, fresh, new door tag does concern me.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 12:09:25 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline Kcode65

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 12:10:23 PM »
First off thank you. I do realize that each car had many variables in regards to markings and also know I crapped the bed by assembling without doing this research first. My goal is to get as close as I can for the ?everyday? car show. I would love to be as accurate as possible by putting giving it my best effort. I feel my best chance to get close is speaking with all of you guys.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 01:18:55 PM »
The car looks wonderful, enjoy it as it is. You dont need the markings.

Heres an additional consideration you are already presenting the car as a Shelby. Those cars were built in San Jose. The car you presenting was built in New Jersey. If you pick either plant, the markings will not technically be correct. Furthermore the next guy that comes along is going to take items from your restoration and the misinformation will be spread.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 01:37:55 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline Kcode65

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 01:44:04 PM »
Outstanding advise. I appreciate it greatly.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 02:03:29 PM »
Just my opinion- others may have some different ideas

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2022, 02:19:02 PM »
+1 to what he said. and i am not a former judge.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 08:21:10 PM »
Agree with the others - your car is a modified car so trying to apply the "correct" markings is near impossible. For some markings, since the car is completely together, they would be difficult to impossible to add at this point

The "every day" local car show will not be looking  for paint marks and such so just make sure its oh so clean and polished, that, typically is what the local shows are looking for if they are even judged. If not is typically peoples choice so the flashy or car owner with the most friends wins
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Kcode65

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2022, 10:43:22 PM »
I understand what everyone is saying and it makes complete sense to me. I know it?s hard to come into a concourse forum after taking a K code and making it a replica R model. I spent a lot of time making it competition correct to the best of my ability. The thought was to finish it off by making the markings look as legit as possible. I never do anything for anyone else except for myself. The car was not built for concourse shows as it?s a fake, but the goal was to make it a damn good fake. Thank you all for the advise.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2022, 12:34:34 AM »
First, just to get it out of the way. I'm guessing you took that picture of your new door tag a while back. That or you forgot to install all the door hardware

I understand what everyone is saying and it makes complete sense to me. I know it?s hard to come into a concourse forum after taking a K code and making it a replica R model. I spent a lot of time making it competition correct to the best of my ability. The thought was to finish it off by making the markings look as legit as possible. I never do anything for anyone else except for myself. The car was not built for concourse shows as it?s a fake, but the goal was to make it a damn good fake. Thank you all for the advise.

First for those reading. Can't think of many of any typical "inspection" marks on a 65 Shelby except for a likely inspector number on the third member and possibly a number on the carb, battery decal and the head, Rest of the markings would be assemblers and identification.

How far have you gone with your copy? Do the rear springs have the correct stampings and is the carb a 715?  Which time period did you duplicate since there are a number of differences.

Just like the member the other day that was building a copy of a 70 Shelby some of the markings are already posted in discussions of original cars and those that are restoring the same. I invite you do do a few searches to find those. Again not sure how far you plan on going as there are markings applied to the bare steel the cars were build from them painted over. On a full a concours restoration this along with others are often duplicated. You find discussions of the San Jose practice of applying the fender location numbers.

For some parts like the carb you need to make individual stamps for each set of numbers and or letters. Don't recall right this moment how many for a 65 Shelby but some have eight  or so different ones.

There is an example of an original 65 Shelby, GT and K code rear spring markings that was posted in a 64 Dearborn discussion thread.

For front springs they were red striped for 65 with the same suspension package. You do have the possible but not typical over/under white spray strip but that does not have to be applied since I'm guessing they didn't have it and they aren't original front springs.

You might want to also search for a driveline thread. There has been one within the last month where one member offered what they had read somewhere else on the markings.

Allot of information here since we opened the doors. Just have to dedicate some time to see if the subject has been covered and covered well

We don't typically share allot of paint marks details on the public sections of the forum since they can be so specific to particular cars, plants and time period at the same time we've delved into the subjects slightly or on an individual part basis in the past. We've found so many will take the easy route and borrow marks not typically found on their type of car thinking, "no one will be able to tell" so that is the major reason IMHO that we don't often provide a whole list plus assembling a list like that takes many hours of research and organization
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2022, 09:09:40 AM »
At least in the MCA the danger of putting paint marks on that you are not 100% sure of is that we do not deduct for paint marks that are not there but we do deduct for paint marks that are incorrect.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2022, 09:20:43 AM »
+1.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2022, 06:09:39 PM »
Good to mention but doesn't look like the poster cares about MCA or national shows where he would be entered in a modified class where judges would not deduct for incorrect markings.  Could be seen or designed to be just another modification from factory configuration ;) 

Just a twist on what we typically address here on the site and elsewhere.
Jeff Speegle