Author Topic: Correct color interior paint for 66 red 65A interior  (Read 486 times)

Offline 21.04

Correct color interior paint for 66 red 65A interior
« on: February 09, 2022, 11:26:47 PM »
I?m looking for the correct paint color for the package tray in my 66 GT coupe.  NJ plant car with projected build of April 15.  Red deluxe Interior code 65A.  Existing package tray is so faded that it?s thought to tell what color it was originally.  However, the two thin 8? metal support brackets that slide around the edges of the seat side ends appear to have been painted the same bright red as the dash and door areas.  If there is an aftermarket rattle can of the correct paint color, does anyone know where I can find it?  I see there are some vendors that sell the dark metallic maroon that matches the dash to windshield trim but I have not been able to find the brighter red used for 66 dash and doors. 
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Correct color interior paint for 66 red 65A interior
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 12:04:17 AM »
I'm not sure how it would be re-colored, the example I have looks a bit multi-textured/colored.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 21.04

Re: Correct color interior paint for 66 red 65A interior
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 01:32:22 AM »
Oh boy!  I may need to hire an artist to recreate that.  Thanks for the example.  If I can figure out a method to recreate that pattern, I?ll post it.  The color used on the board does look more of a red than maroon.  Some of the darker areas could have absorbed more of the paint causing the checkerboard look would be my guess. Thanks Charles.

-Matt
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd