Author Topic: Undercoating question  (Read 1092 times)

Offline k-code

Re: Undercoating question
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2022, 06:41:27 PM »
Got some specific pages you can't read? we might be able to fill in some of the questionable parts.
Jim

Got my XL magnifying glass out and its quite legible using that. Thanks
Andy
65 K code coupe, Dearborn, Dec 18, '64

Offline Building 3

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2022, 12:43:27 PM »
Yes.
In most New England dealerships (Mopar and GM included), for dealer stock vehicles, undercoating was automatically done. A customer "ordered" vehicle was at the customers' discretion - usually yes. In New England, and other Northern States, salt is used on roads in winter - A LOT.
For this, I think looking at the 65 Mustang Body Assembly Manuals INTENT should be used. Sound deadened is shown applied to wheel wells and not to any part of the under body.
If you don't have a set of the Mustang assembly manuals I strongly recommend you get a set.
Jim

My question is: Yes, I know from experience, most NE dealers did do this, at an extra cost of course, if the undercoating is listed on the bill of sale, as an as delivered condition, and the car is shown with undercoating at an MCA event, would that cause a points deduction or not?
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2022, 01:08:29 PM »
Quote from: j wc66klink=topic=26102.msg161141#msg161141 date=1643575575
Yes.
In most New England dealerships (Mopar and GM included), for dealer stock vehicles, undercoating was automatically done. A customer "ordered" vehicle was at the customers' discretion - usually yes. In New England, and other Northern States, salt is used on roads in winter - A LOT.
For this, I think looking at the 65 Mustang Body Assembly Manuals INTENT should be used. Sound deadened is shown applied to wheel wells and not to any part of the under body.
If you don't have a set of the Mustang assembly manuals I strongly recommend you get a set.
Jim

My question is: Yes, I know from experience, most NE dealers did do this, at an extra cost of course, if the undercoating is listed on the bill of sale, as an as delivered condition, and the car is shown with undercoating at an MCA event, would that cause a points deduction or not?
Quote from:  Bob Gaines
If reasonable proof can be shown it was done before the first owner took delivery it should pass. Then the expectation would be a similar type of undercoating look achieved and application areas. The rattle can undercoating does not produce a similar type used look for example. It would be prudent IMO to discuss this with show staff prior to entry and not the day of. It doesn't come up often.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 01:15:07 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2022, 02:41:47 PM »
i have deducted for the undercoating (obvious can applied) being too 'smooth'.  what i have observed over the years was the fact that the dealer applied stuff was rough and generally terrible looking but it did do its' job.
5F09C331248

Offline k-code

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2022, 03:12:51 PM »
i have deducted for the undercoating (obvious can applied) being too 'smooth'.  what i have observed over the years was the fact that the dealer applied stuff was rough and generally terrible looking but it did do its' job.

A good description how mine looks, rough and terrible looking, with the exception of the tunnel...it's rough but a consistent application (pic attached). My rear frame rails are coated in the stuff, so removal is a miserable job unfortunately.
The belly pans vary from thick to thin application. The area above the diff was a very light application, with the exception of where the exhaust hangers are.

I can't decide which way to go on this!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 03:17:57 PM by k-code »
Andy

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2022, 03:45:47 PM »
take it off.....take it all off. i have used diesel fuel in the past, as you said a messy smelly job. work in a well ventilated area.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2022, 04:59:47 PM »
I can't decide which way to go on this!

What are your plans for the car. IMHO you can't call the car restored without addressing this nor all original.  If your just going to keep the car and drive it around it might not be an issue as it just depends on how you feel about it. At the same time it may be hiding an issue or two that make get worst if not addressed.  We only saw a small section of the under belly 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline k-code

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2022, 06:09:24 PM »
My objective is an excellent weekend driver. Classic car nights at the local McD's, maybe park at the local car show (every June a 5 min walk from my house). No intention to enter into concours events. I'm not sure they have them where I live anyway.

And given it's not a frame off, rotisserie restoration, I won't call it such. I want the car to look right and drive right, and issues I correct I want to bring back to original if possible within the confines as noted above, ie, not a frame off.

A PO owner did quite a bit of work so the interior, paint, engine and diff are all fresh 5000 miles ago. The suspension work he completed (rear leafs, front springs, upper and lower control arms, linkage, front sway bar) are not original however as he used repro parts so won't be changing that for a while, as it's all recent.

I'm doing the transmission, brakes, all brake/hydraulic lines and cables, and some electrical, undercarriage detailing, new fuel tank, both rear wheel houses and finishing off the trunk area. Will do the front wheelhouses too but maybe not until the fall. Haven't decided on that yet. Also next fall I will do the engine compartment to bring everything back to factory.

I found exact reproductions of the carpet underlay, the tar type material with shiny overlay, so that's going in under the recent carpet
Maybe at some point in the future, if I have enough runway ahead of me, I'll strip it down but for a bunch of reasons that isn't feasible at this point in time.

Hope that answers your question.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 01:43:22 PM by k-code »
Andy

Offline k-code

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2022, 05:45:53 PM »
After dithering for a couple days I started to tackle removal of the undercoating. To my surprise its coming off fairly well with a heat gun and scraper. It will take me a while however....I figure a week of a couple hours a day and I might be close to having it done. One to two hours at a time laying on my back with two arms up in the air is about all I can handle.
Interestingly I am finding no evidence of body color overspray; not finding evidence of the dark gray-black primer either, as when the undercoating comes off it reveals bare metal, though its early in the process.
Andy

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2022, 06:23:31 PM »
Not unusual during the process of removing undercoating and cleaning to remove allot of the original oversprays that were created by indirect application. Closer to the edges the paint may be thick enough to have held up you will just have to wait and see

Since it is/was a Dearborn car the main floor color could be a number of different tinted colors. Have seen light blues or lighter greens also. If it all comes off with the undercoating take some time and check under brackets or retainers attached to the floor such as fuel line clips, exhaust mounts and so on

Have fun
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline k-code

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2022, 07:39:09 PM »
I spoke too soon. Looks like I?m finding some of the body overspray, and the main floor is definitely black, or close to it. Semi gloss it appears.
Hard to tell with the pic. While under the car it all looks black but definitely green is showing up while viewing the pic.
Rest time.
Andy