Author Topic: Metuchen Built Mach 1 Sport Lamp Door, Grill Question  (Read 816 times)

Offline alanmac

Metuchen Built Mach 1 Sport Lamp Door, Grill Question
« on: December 29, 2021, 09:04:12 PM »
 My sport lamp doors on the grill were replaced many years ago.  A few years after replacement the sport lamp door top mounting tabs cracked (I also believe this is why I replaced them many years ago).  Attached is  a photo from this concours forum of a Dearborn red Mach1.  Looking at the red mach I the top tab is bent down from the retaining screw. My top tabs were bent like the red Mach 1.  I beleive my top tabs cracked due to bending stress. I want to verify that my SL doors are mounted correctly with the correct hardware.  I investigated the 1970 electrical assmbly manual drawing and the hardware spreadsheeet available on this forum.  My SL doors appear to be mounted correctly but I am not sure if the spring nuts are correct. 

I am interested in knowing the physical details of the Nut Clip and photo of the fastener used on the two bottom tabs of the sport light grills.  As per the electrical assembly manual the P/N should be 45257-S2.

- Both documents list 383347-S2 Nut - Spring Clips (6 required) (.870Lx.530W) assembled on the two metal brackets.  I verified my brackets have the correct 383347-S2 spring nuts.

- Both documents list 45257-S2 Nut - Spring Clips (4 required) (.800Lx.530W) assembled on the two sport lamp door bottom mounting tabs.  Looking at AMK F1071 kit for sport lamp door mounting, (https://www.amkproducts.com/search-result/?ser=F-1071) it appears that the AMK BFC2 (6 pieces) nut clips are the four required 45257-S2.  Is this correct?  Any help is appreciated.  Alan
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 04:21:37 PM by alanmac »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
1 of 186 with these paint/trim codes
Build Date: October 7, 1969
0T1190xx
Dealer: Maguires Garage Inc. Duncannon PA

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Metuchen Built Mach 1 Sport Lamp Door, Grill Question
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 08:36:34 PM »
Starting anew I'll look through and see what I have from NJ cars for you. Maybe someone else has a picture of two to post. Going to be tougher since only a small percentage of the total number of Mustangs had these. Hopefully we will get lucky
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline alanmac

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 01:40:16 PM »
Jeff, I really appreciate your effort. Thanks. Looking closer at the electrical assembly manual, I determined the upper 383347-S2 Nut Clip on the bracket was assembled backwards.  I found the bracket height can be  height adjusted.  After trial an error fitment / of the sport lamp doors and height adjustment, I think my brackets were too high.  I will verify there is no bending stress on the upper SL door tab after the hardware confirmed.  Alan
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 12:40:13 AM »
Jeff, I really appreciate your effort. Thanks. Looking closer at the electrical assembly manual, I determined the upper 383347-S2 Nut Clip on the bracket was assembled backwards.  I found the bracket height can be  height adjusted.  After trial an error fitment / of the sport lamp doors and height adjustment, I think my brackets were too high.  I will verify there is no bending stress on the upper SL door tab after the hardware confirmed.  Alan

Good to hear that you figured it out. Seems that the area is not one that is popular with people when they take pictures of their cars :( But not a big surprise.

A few pictures of that area though none may help at this point.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline alanmac

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 01:30:14 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I think the AMKF1701 kit has the incorrect quantity of nut clips.  The 383347-S2 looks like the AMK E~O2.  There should be 6 instead of 4 for the metal brackets (3 each).  If thats correct, the 45257-S2 would be the AMK BFC2 and 4 would be needed for the bottom of the sport lamp door.  Maybe Jim could comment of this, I'll send him a note.  Alan     
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2022, 02:34:28 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I think the AMKF1701 kit has the incorrect quantity of nut clips.  The 383347-S2 looks like the AMK E~O2.  There should be 6 instead of 4 for the metal brackets (3 each).  If thats correct, the 45257-S2 would be the AMK BFC2 and 4 would be needed for the bottom of the sport lamp door.  Maybe Jim could comment of this, I'll send him a note.  Alan   
I hope that's me you are referring to.
There's no way in determining what is and what is supposed to be in an AMK kit without contacting AMK - but AMK created a lot of their kits based on Ford Car Parts (aka MPC). That being said, I extracted the hardware part numbers from the Mustang Assembly Manuals, which were released for publication years after many of the AMK kits were created. We know there are differences. I'm looking at the 70 Mustang Electrical Manual, pg 4, and clip 383347-S2 (item 19) shows has 6 required, but for two different application, 4 each and 2 each (see the spreadsheet for where used). That's as much as I can determine.
On a side note: I needed a rubber grommet for an antique radio I'm working on (GE F-74, 1938) and got it at Lowe's in their hardware section. In my search, I found quite a few nut clips in stock. No guarantees as to exact matches for Mustangs, but it is a source. And, if you have an ACE Hardware store, "browse" them too.
On a second side note: The "AMK Guide To Ford Fasteners" often omits a critical dimension, but shows the dimension in their catalogs. Where appropriate, I've included those dimensions, plus some I've measured from available samples, in the spreadsheets.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline alanmac

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2022, 03:09:32 PM »
I hope that's me you are referring to.
There's no way in determining what is and what is supposed to be in an AMK kit without contacting AMK - but AMK created a lot of their kits based on Ford Car Parts (aka MPC). That being said, I extracted the hardware part numbers from the Mustang Assembly Manuals, which were released for publication years after many of the AMK kits were created. We know there are differences. I'm looking at the 70 Mustang Electrical Manual, pg 4, and clip 383347-S2 (item 19) shows has 6 required, but for two different application, 4 each and 2 each (see the spreadsheet for where used). That's as much as I can determine.
On a side note: I needed a rubber grommet for an antique radio I'm working on (GE F-74, 1938) and got it at Lowe's in their hardware section. In my search, I found quite a few nut clips in stock. No guarantees as to exact matches for Mustangs, but it is a source. And, if you have an ACE Hardware store, "browse" them too.
On a second side note: The "AMK Guide To Ford Fasteners" often omits a critical dimension, but shows the dimension in their catalogs. Where appropriate, I've included those dimensions, plus some I've measured from available samples, in the spreadsheets.
Jim
Thanks Jim, I searched MHWsize for 45257-S2 and found it was used on the dash pad ends and trim pieces.  I measured one of the dash pad end nut clips and verified the size as being correct.  The design of 45257-S2 is the same as 383347-S2.  With that being said the AMK F1701 kit is not correct since the Nut Clips are different design.  Specically BFC2 is not the correct design.  I have 2 extras of these 45257-S2 clips, I need 2 more, but I have 4 others that are very close in design except no round hole reliefs at the bottom of the sheared tabs.  Alan   
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 03:41:34 PM by alanmac »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx