Author Topic: '70 Alt. Bracket Acceptable on late '69?  (Read 6104 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Re: '70 Alt. Bracket Acceptable on late '69?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 09:18:02 AM »
Just wanted to give an update.  As you guys suggested, I ran into all kinds of problems when I went to install the '70 water pump.  How I missed this before sending the pump off to be rebuild, I'll never know, but the '70 pump dumps to the driver's side of the engine, whereas a '69 pump dumps to the passenger's side. 

To add to the fun, none of the bolts I bought from AMK for a '69 motor were fitting in the stock locations on the later water pump.  I could've fudged around, swapped bolts, and maybe cobbled up something that would've worked, but I didn't really want to.  I went to look at the radiator I got with the car, and it looks like a '70 radiator, which means it would have the correct driver's side bottom hose outlet that would've worked with this '70 water pump.  That being said, this radiator was WAY too small to have come on my car originally, as it should've had the 24-inch radiator when new, and the radiator I got with the car was much smaller.  It almost looked like it came off a 6-cylinder or something, and after looking all over, I couldn't find any part numbers, tags, or any indication that it was an original Ford assembly line part.

So, in essence, once again, the car could've come with a '70 water pump, different bottom radiator hose, and appropriate '70 radiator.  It seems strange that someone would've gone through the trouble of finding and retrofitting a '70 Ford water pump to a '69 timing cover, and swapping the radiator and alternator brackets to the later '70 style. 

It could've come this way new, but I doubt it, and since I had no way to positively verify it, I bought a '69 water pump and proceeded from there.  Everything bolted up as it should, the water pump gasket and bolts fit like they were supposed to, and now I can go with a '69 radiator and hoses without continually worrying about making everything work.  From a concours-correct perspective, do you guys think I made the right decision?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 12:48:05 PM »
YES, You made the right decision.  I have seen the change to a 70-Later Pump numerous times. They are simply easier to find. A 'Standard Cooling' 351W could have came with 20 " Radiator. the 24" was for 'Extra Cooling' and A/C Cars.   I am glad to see you took the extra steps to go concours.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 12:40:11 PM »
YES, You made the right decision.  I have seen the change to a 70-Later Pump numerous times. They are simply easier to find. A 'Standard Cooling' 351W could have came with 20 " Radiator. the 24" was for 'Extra Cooling' and A/C Cars.   I am glad to see you took the extra steps to go concours.

Thanks for the encouragement.  This should've had the larger radiator, as it was a factory air car.  We've got another '69 Mach 1 in our shop that came in for some electrical problems, so it's really helped being able to reference a complete 351 air car when I need to.  One thing that's strange--this car shows every sign of being a factory A/C car, or at least having a 100% concours conversion done to it, but it doesn't have the tinted glass.  I thought all air cars got Sun-x glass automatically?  Maybe that's only for '65-66 cars.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask, are you the same MagMustangs that's on eBay?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 03:20:51 PM »
Yep, that is me on Ebay. I just inserted my Store Link into my Signature.

I have had plenty of A/C Cars with Clear Glass, Here is the Deal as I understand it:

On the Dealer Order Form when ordering Air Conditioning, it was RECOMMENDED that you also Order Tinted Glass. It was not a Requirement.
I have also had plenty of SUN-X Cars without A/C. There was No Factory Grouping For AC and Tint. Just a Ford Recommendation.

MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs