Author Topic: 69 302 engine parts to be painted blue...  (Read 707 times)

Offline Scott302

69 302 engine parts to be painted blue...
« on: December 09, 2021, 10:54:33 AM »
I've been working with a friend to fine tune his car.  Found several items on the engine that need to be changed.  Typically I'd say paint the valve cover bolts with the valve covers and gaskets along with the rest of the engine.  I questioned whether the wire J-clips attached to the front upper valve cover bolts were painted too. I was told they are natural but that does make sense from a production standpoint.  Why install the valve covers and bolts, paint the engine only to remove the bolts to install the J-clips?  I found a couple of images in the Mannel book (Mustang and Ford Small Block V-8 1962-1969 page 9-20 9F1 images a and c) that seems to show the clip installed with the bolt prior to painting.  Note the unpainted area on the valve cover lip in the shape of the J-clip and washer.  So I am going to say the clip gets painted with the engine.
Agree?

Now the quandary...
Looking at image (a) in the Manner book there is paint on the valve cover below the lower front bolt.  Which valve cover bolts were installed after the engine was painted???
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: 69 302 engine parts to be painted blue...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 12:43:44 PM »
Weren't water pump bolts reused when  power steering was added? Engines were painted at the engine factory as a long block. The factory engine build line would add carbs, fuel pumps and other accessories as needed.
Threaded holes would show paint too?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 02:16:09 PM »
The wire clips on my car had some blue on them from being painted in place when I bought it unrestored 40 years ago.
I have salvaged spares in my parts bin the same way.
Authenticity red flag is the caution fan sticker on that 69, other inaccuracies do follow.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline K-HESS

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 03:31:59 PM »
Agree with 7Lscjracer that they were painted. I have an original set of covers hanging on the wall and both covers show signs of the clips being mounted on the covers when the engine was painted.
The Little Devil-1969 Mach1 9T02Rxxx666 Built 10/21/68
A5-Raven Black, 3D-Dark Red Clarion Knit Vinyl, 4-Speed

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 04:35:52 PM »
In '68 they were usually painted also.  A little detail on a '68 Shelby is for the clips to be blue as they were transferred from the engine when the Cobra covers were swapped out.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 05:42:14 PM »
Is your first picture a picture of your friends engine or something you found on the internet?

Picture #3 is interesting and unusual with its engine ID paper tag and OK stamp on what looks to be the driver side of the valve cover. Never seen that before

Just noticed that we don't have any unrestored examples of a 69 F code in the Unrestored Picture section. we do have a 70 example with some of the painted valve cover bolts visible and the painted wire retainers. Paint didn't really stick well to the rubber coated clip and any manipulation after painted introduces cracks in the paint and starts the process in my experiences. Rubber also gets old, cracks and falls off removing any evidence of the original finish and look

In going through my pictures I did find a number of F code 69's (and H and M codes if that relates) with what appears to be the remains of blue paint on the clip which in turn confirms that the valve cover bolt was in place when the engine was painted. Would expect that the rest of the upper attaching bolts were in place at the time also.

Also going through my pictures found little pieces of clues and evidence here and there. Visibility and condition made finding allot difficult. Lots of AC units and air cleaners got in the way also. Plenty of dark, dirty, oily and cruddy examples but it appears to me at this paint that all valve cover bolts were in place as well as the flexible clips at the time the engine was painted

A 12K 69 H code example Ignore the felt tip pen mark

And a NJ H code example

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Scott302

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 08:57:17 PM »
Jeff,
The engine image is the car I am helping the friend with.  He emailed it to me and asked for a critique.  He will be showing it at the MCA show in SC this spring.
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 12:10:44 AM »
Jeff,
The engine image is the car I am helping the friend with.  He emailed it to me and asked for a critique.  He will be showing it at the MCA show in SC this spring.
Regards,
Scott

Then your going to need to paint the thermostat housing bolts, the by pass hose and clamps as well as the unused mounting locations at the front of the drivers side head and possibly elsewhere

Would have looked nicer/more correct if there was engine paint on the top surfaces of the exhaust manifold but difficult to add at this late point.

A few quick none paint observations. We can move these over to a new thread if we need to expand  or change the title to something that relates to the whole engine compartment in order to help out and prepare your friend's car.

Not sure if they (the judges) will check to see if the radiator overflow hose has the identification ribs in it.

They may deduct for the incorrect vacuum advance. That appears to be an aftermarket replacement

Some details are confusing. Is it a Dearborn or NJ bulit car?

If he doesn't mind not having a reminder to keep his hands and other things out of the fan remove the CAUTION decal since its not factory

Going to need to apply some sealant to the firewall area (good to check other threads or start one if there isn't one already)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Scott302

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 12:58:05 AM »
Already addressed the other shortcomings with the owner.
Bypass hose and clamps.  Thermostat bolts.  Plug wire routing.  Master cylinder cap and bail.  Vacuum advance. Valve cover bolts and j-clip. Caution decal.  The owner is apprehensive about adding the sealant.  He is still looking for a good original hood pad (Grande).  The car is Metuchen built.
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 01:58:32 AM »
The owner is apprehensive about adding the sealant. 

They always are :)

He is still looking for a good original hood pad (Grande).

Him and a hundred other owners or so. Good luck
Jeff Speegle