Author Topic: 1969 Tilt-Away Column Rebuild / Repair  (Read 1012 times)

Offline GrabberMach

1969 Tilt-Away Column Rebuild / Repair
« on: September 14, 2021, 12:22:58 PM »
Hi all, I wanted to see if anyone had recommendations / experience with '69 tilt columns. I have two columns and two cars, one one that came with tilt and one I'm adding it to. I would like to get the tilt-away portion working on the original car, and have heard that sending the column out for inspection / lube is recommended even if the tilt works OK. Anyone have a recommendation on who to send it to? I saw the name Fastmerc when I searched online, and also heard West Coast Classic Cougar can perform a service on an hourly basis.

My other question is - how do you remove the cable for the tilt-away? I would like to use one of my columns as tilt-only, but it needs a cosmetic restoration (surface rust, re-painting, etc.) It's enough to where I need to disassemble the column as much as I can. I have had one of these mostly apart before so I know what I'm getting myself into. Is there a way to remove the cable without damaging it? I don't want to ruin the column just for the sake of a cosmetic restoration.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 1969 Tilt-Away Column Rebuild / Repair
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 12:29:41 PM »
The columns come apart rather easily, the knuckle assy can be left together, although there are some improvements that can be made with updated pins that use circlips on the ends.  Removing the cable is not an issue.  If you decide you don't want the cable, I might be interested as I'm having issues with the one in my '68.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 03:09:11 PM »
Fastmerc is Steve Liebenow, he lives in California. I do not have a contact that I can give out due to privacy restrictions. Might be in Hollister?

West Coast Classic Cougar is unable to do tilt column work, our knowledge base retired.

We are sending referrals to Tony Augustine (816) 210-4779. He is in Missouri.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline GrabberMach

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 03:53:57 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies. The attached photo is the part of the cable I'm looking to remove. Any tips? It doesn?t seem like the end with the pin that attached to the vacuum-powered piston is designed to come off so I assume the cable has to come off from above.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 04:31:55 PM by GrabberMach »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 05:35:00 PM »
It's been a while since I was into one of these but I think you have to tear it down a bit more to remove the end of the cable.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline geo302b

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 04:23:48 PM »
I did the same, you dont have to remove the cable just tap it to the column under dash.