Author Topic: 69 Mach 1 Decal (Dealer/Aftermarket?)  (Read 1665 times)

Offline lowdragjake

69 Mach 1 Decal (Dealer/Aftermarket?)
« on: July 31, 2021, 03:57:29 AM »
Good day all. I am new to the site (as a poster) so apologies for any unintentional grammatical/formatting/procedural errors on my part. I am currently in the very early stages of what I hope to culminate in a concours level restoration of my '69 Mach. The vehicle is a San Jose R code C6 for the Los Angeles DSO. The question I have is in regards to a stripe kit. I will attempt to attach a picture but please understand the picture was not taken with an emphasis on the decal but it is what I have to use at the moment. To note is the decal above the factory reflective "Mach 1" with the "428 CJ and Snake and Cobra". Is this some Saturday afternoon add-on from a catalogue or something else? My guess is simply an aftermarket addition but fading seems to match the paint and fade of the original stripe so it is at least period correct. I am the second owner and have had the car stored since '91. Also, the design perfectly matches the hood/fender lines as well as mates to the original reflective decal perfectly so I think it was at least Mustang specific. Anyways, I would love to know exactly what it is before I move on. Thank you in advance for your help.

Tom

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: 69 Mach 1 Decal (Dealer/Aftermarket?)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 09:18:30 AM »
Well, dealership maybe a stretch, but I would encourage you to research it more closely. First you will need to determine the exact dealer and then see if you can find some old newspaper advertising

Since the Cobra name was used on the Shelby its unlikely a Ford dealer would have used it on a Mustang.

I think the flag looks similar to the 1972 Olympic Seont, so there may be a connection to the other modifications

I would put my money on a creative owner
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 09:24:14 AM by Coralsnake »

Offline lowdragjake

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 09:32:58 AM »
Roger that Coralsnake. I appreciate your time and information. Have a good day.

Tom

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 10:25:29 PM »
72 Sprint decal
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline lowdragjake

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2021, 01:30:38 AM »
7Lscjracer, thank you for the info.. Small details are adding up. Have a good day.

Tom

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2021, 07:31:18 AM »
Since the Cobra name was used on the Shelby its unlikely a Ford dealer would have used it on a Mustang.

By this time Ford was using the Cobra designation on the Torino as well with two engines, so the snake was out of the bag if you will.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 04:25:36 PM »
I don't know how official this book is, "66 Ford Mustang Illustrated Facts Book", but the name "Cobra" is use in conjunction with the price list (page 27) for the 289 Hi-Performance engine:
"Cobra V8 Induction Includes Special Handling Package and"
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2021, 05:37:15 PM »
Interesting addition to the factory Mach I stripe. Believe it was likely added to the car in 70 or the next few years influenced by the 70 Boss "hockey stick" stripes that year. Not unusual for owners to add things to their car to make the car look like the newer models. Had a 69 CJ Mach at one point an owner had added the 70 Mach I side cladding to.

Pretty certain it was not a dealer promotion given where you stated the car originally was sold.

BTW - Welcome to the site. Hope you find the information and support you need in relation to your restoration needs. If you have additional questions you will find it easier to add your cars information to your signature that way you will not have to include it in your post. Because we're going to be asking for it if you don't post it  ::)  In that way we can make the answers more focused on your need and provide more details

Again welcome 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline lowdragjake

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 12:46:17 AM »
Good morning Jeff. Thank you for the additional insight. Your recommendation for the addition of my vehicle's information is noted and will be updated. Well done on all of your efforts on this sight. Have a great day.

Tom